Modern shock enquiery

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Does it matter what way up a modern mountain bike shock is mounted? I'm pondering fitting a modern shock to the back of my Proflex 856 but most of the modern ones would need to be mounted upside down.
It will need a bit of fabrication but once i've sorted mine I will be able to sort other peoples easily as i'll know which parts to source and will be able to do the fabrication in house.

Nope, shouldn't matter which way up you have it.

Some bikes have them one way & others have then the other way, sometimes it all boils down to frame clearance issues

Ditto that, both ways are used in production bikes

There's a preference to mount shocks in such a way that gravity moves the muck and grime away from any seals, rather than towards them. But frame clearance obviously overrules this preference.

Thankyou

Cheers chaps.There are a few nice Fox ones on the bay at the moment so I will wait until I can get one for next to nothing and then i'll get the welder out. Looks like it should only be a question of welding 2 vertical plates to the upper swing arm on the Proflex,then just a question if swing arm height.165mm shock which seems to be standard should give me loads of room for adjustment.Watch this space!

hhmm I was looking today at the Fox rp2 and wondering the same thing?

lots of different shock lengths & stroke lengths

I've heard that 2:1 is a good ratio

So if you have a 4" travel frame a 2" stroke length should be OK (I'm no expert, just going on what I've read)

The RP23 is a very good shock ;) (got one on my '5')

Back