M950/1/2/3 Crank arm installation

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Never had any M950 kit BITD, but have chosen it for a couple of bike builds.

M950 specifically in this case.
Just trying to get my head around the technique for getting the cranks arms to sit parallel with one another (but pointing in different directions obviously :LOL:), but as it seems possible for them to be positioned anywhere on the Octalink BB, is it simply down to eye to get them positioned correctly? :?

I can't find any installation instructions in the archives, so if anyone has them or any tips it would be appreciated :)

Also, the chainring spider - I've removed the inner and middle rings and the circlip, but I cannot undo the lockring even with the correct tool and good leverage. I am assuming righty-tighty, lefty-loosey, is that correct??? Again instruction manual would probably help me. :)

Re:

The best way to fit the arms to the bb ensuring you don't chew the Splines in the arms is to remove the self extractor bits so you can get the bolts out (if you don't, you run the risk of mis-alignment and damage).

Once you have these off, simply slot the arms onto the bb, tighten up then fit the self extractor collars. Line the arms up by eye, it's obvious if they are out.

As for the lock ring, I cant remember if it is righty tighty or not. I think they are thread locked so take a bit of effort.

Recently had the same dilema with one of my builds, so I very gently tightened the crank arm bolts like 1/4 turn a time and kept wiggling the crank until you feel it engage with the splines, at which point you can torque it down fully. Also I didnt check the spider lockring and wrongly assumed it would be toight, however after first ride I had an annoying click from the chainset - turned out it wasn't tight, so after tightening it down hard its totally stopped it. TBH not my favourite crank, too much faff and the arms soon rub up and look bad, however its going on a full M950 build so needs must...

I have one without a spider in front of me.
It's right hand thread. Quite fine thread and there are only 2 or 3 threads.

Back