Answer Manitou 1's - Elastomers needed..

Copey

Retro Guru
I am nearly finished my next build project and have a set of Answer Manitou 1's that need some love.. does anyone know where I can get a set of elastomers from? The ones I have a shagged..

Cheers

Mark

I've been looking for these elastomers for a while, but without success.

Looking back through the wanted forum, Slim managed to get some in the past for some members. If you search on Manitou 1 elastomer on the Wanted forum you should find the thread.

I PM'd Slim about a month back, but haven't heard back; I'm guessing they may all be gone. If you do manage to find a source, do let me know please!

I've spent many an hour googling different terms around elastomers, hoping to come across a solution. Some seem to have bought polyeurothane tubing of a suitable density, but the internal diamater is too large for the bolts in Manitou forks. I also found some information about a product trade name "Dynathane", which is advertsied as being suitable for mountain bike elastomers. There's a couple of companies in the UK in Notts / Derbyshire manufacture elastomers from it, but I guess the cost of doing small orders, given the different internal and outer diameters of each fork model, would be too high.

Damien

No luck with that chap the other day then Damien?

Still haven't stripped my 2's down yet, do the 1's share the same elastomers, guessing not?

Huntso,

No, I think the 1s from the ad are on ebay at the moment needing elastomers. I did think about buying the 4s and putting my steerer and crown from the Manitou 1s on them, as the elastomers for 4s seem to be easier to come by, but I'm not sure if that would be safe (if different stanchion diameters etc). I'm still looking at it, but need to be sure on the safety. Also, although less of a concern to be honest, the 4s are about 3 years too new for my frame.

Other option is to do what I should have done when I built the bike in 1993 and buy some Pace RC35s (if I can find a pair with a long 1 1/8 threaded steerer). The £100 extra for the RC35s over end of line Manitou 1s seemed a lot at that time, but hindsight is now showing itself to be a wonderful thing!

I don't think elastomers from 2s would work as I think the Manitou 2 has three elastomers per leg to the two per leg in the 1s (1s have approx 3" and 3/4" elastomers per leg). Thanks anyway though.

Damien

Sorry to hear that Damien, thought he might have had a service kit amongst that little lot.

Reckon its just a case of keeping an eye out for some original elastomers or as you say get some RC35's

Would a Mani 2 be any use, seen the odd one about in good condition for fairly reasonable prices, but suppose yet again it would depend if the elastomers were knackered.
At least the crowns should be interchangeable with yours (shouldn't it) and would be the right age for a 93 bike

Good luck with the search
Cheers
Rich

Mani 2 would indeed be the right age. They were recently launched when I bought my 1s. As you say, it's all the darned elastomers!

Still, it's forcing me to fix up my old and nasty Ridgeback to use for now, which I used as a very rough winter bike and general runabout while I was at University; my Mum will be pleased to get it out of her garage, and it's been waiting for the front mech to be refitted and new cables installed for 10 years now! I pulled all of the decals off the frame and plastered it with free stickers off the cover of a 1992 / 1993 MBUK. Obviously it seemed like a good idea at the time :oops: I think I put Mint Sauce on the head tube :cool: :oops:

Hi guys.
I have a small stock of genuine answer elastomers. Brand new, in the packet.
I have red/ med and green/ x soft/ cold for the manitou 3/4 and EFC. Includinding some answer MCU mediums. I also have some comp elastomers in green, yellow and blue.
3/4/EFC have a 4mm hole in. The comps have no hole and are like a single raw long length.
I don't have many of these sets, and believe it or not, I'm not trying to profiteer from these. It cost me heavy to buy a big box of old stock from Answer and ship it over, so I'm just after getting my money back. I'm sure you'll appreciate that getting deperate for parts sometimes leads to desperate measures. The 3/4 kits are £25, and the coms are £23.

However, I NEED some elastomers with a 6mm hole for 1 and 2 forks, and I''m willing to trade heavy. ..

I've been down the route of various dudes on here palming off bits of pipe and elastomers with the wrong size hole, and they just don't work, as I ride my machines rather than look at them. if anyone has some kits for a '2', let me know and we'll come to a good arrangement.

pm me if interested in the 3/4/efc/comp kits,
;)

Back