what effect will a longer stem have on handling?

You must be very tall if running a 130mm anyway. More on this in the geometry topic yesterday but great long stems are one of the MTB items that should be left in the past... ;)

I reckon a wider arc will mean it's slightly slower to turn but you will have more leverage. Your fore and aft weight will change as you will be more forward (not so good on steep descents!) and you'll also be putting a little more load on the front - are you in a cramped position now?

I'm not sure if it's a bit cramped or not. I've had the bike since I was 15, I'm 32 now...just got it out of storage recently. I guess a 130mm would keep the bike in a more original state. Probably a 20 inch frame would suit me better these days, I'm 6ft1.

I have just moved from a 140mm to a 110mm and prefer the sharper handling and as was mentioned before, steep descents might feel a bit more "real". I would have thought you will be used to a longish stem riding a 130mm all these years so an extra 10mm will prob. not feel to different, however as was said also, suck it and see.

I find pulling wheelies much easier with a 110 so from that I figure I can pull the bike about more to get out of trouble. I am a short arsh though :)

Back