Anyone tried the chinese Ti 25.4mm handlebars ?

KeepItSteel

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Am looking to put some decent mileage on a couple of my retro purchases, but, if I do, I'm going to need a wider bar..

I'd like to retain OG appearance as much as possible, so the idea of a nice plain Ti bar appeals. Especially as there appear to be a whole bunch of 25.4mm versions available around the £50-£60 mark via ePay on the slow boat from China.

I'm looking to go at least 600mm wide, possibly 620/640mm. Can I trust my portly frame on such a purchase?
Does anyone have direct experience/comparison or other recommendations?

I've not, but Exotic/Carboncycles (also disco-brakes people) do 25.4 bars in decent widths too- alloy or carbon I think. Might be worth a look, and should be a bit more back-up...

They´re Taiwanese and yes, I had them make me a bar this spring. Very responsive contact via eBay, turnaround was about 6 weeks. I wanted a custom width (650mm) and 10deg backsweep. They nailed just the former, backsweep of the actual bar is just about 7deg. Oh well. Due to the width wall thickness had to be increased, but still pretty light. I ordered 22,2mm diameter straight through with shim (can´t stand the the look of their bulge version), delivered shim is plastic. I got me a proper CNC shim and now it looks like I imagined.

I haven´t it ridden yet though, bike is still being built up. I´m a svelte guy, I´m not worried about breakage. I expect a thin walled Ti bar will be a bit bendy, but maybe also comfortable. I would ask for even thicker wall (mine is 1,1mm IIRC) if you´re really hammering down.

Hope that helps
Dr

Re:

You can get tried and tested named retro bars for £40-50 which run at around ~ 610mm wide. Double that for something fancy like a Moots Ti. Higher up front but they are such a joy to ride, properly tested for such a vital component and if you want to move it on someday its an easy sell, as hold their value due to their rarity.

Minifreak":3uuv3180 said:
I have one on my Hei Hei, very impressed so far and didn’t take too long to ship.

What width did you go for? And how's the flex factor?

Re: Re:

M-Power":bzcme5kt said:
You can get tried and tested named retro bars for £40-50 which run at around ~ 610mm wide. Double that for something fancy like a Moots Ti. Higher up front but they are such a joy to ride, properly tested for such a vital component and if you want to move it on someday its an easy sell, as hold their value due to their rarity.

I've been really struggling to find minimum 600mm width retro bars, hence considering a discreet modern Ti alternative. I agree with what you're saying in principle though. I'll keep looking..

KeepItSteel":15o1d4q4 said:
Minifreak":15o1d4q4 said:
I have one on my Hei Hei, very impressed so far and didn’t take too long to ship.

What width did you go for? And how's the flex factor?

Check width later, nice riding bar, not too fleet at all and stem well made.

Re: Re:

KeepItSteel":1uqqr0fo said:
M-Power":1uqqr0fo said:

I've been really struggling to find minimum 600mm width retro bars, hence considering a discreet modern Ti alternative. I agree with what you're saying in principle though. I'll keep looking..

If you dont mind a modern stem 31.8mm clamp you can get some quality Ti ‘brand’ bars easily. I used an easy to find wide alloy riser on my 97 FAT Ti until a nice Ti Moots came up after 6mths ~ 610mm or so - perfect. It totally transformed the ride, such a smooth thing and im not kidding....pure joy to ride. ~ 20lbs, that flies up/down hills predictably and it gets a ton of respect from riders.

Back