C'dale M400 w/lots of minty original US-CNC kit + extras..

jahknob

Devout Dirtbag
I've been putting off this day for a long time. Partly because I didn't want to lose a lot of this stuff and partly because I was dreading trying to work out how to price this all up…

Essentially, this was my wife’s bike and it was barely ridden. Some parts were bought just for her bike, others were my hand-me-downs, but at the time (early ‘90s) I was upgrading stuff constantly and had very good US connections for parts. Hence, virtually everything is pretty much mint or close to it.

The whole bike has been stripped down, checked out to ensure that everything is A-OK, lubed and carefully reassembled.

I would much prefer to sell as a complete bike, and give the buyer first dibs on any of the various extras that I’ve got (at a discount). I’ve tried to price it all according to past prices I have researched, but feel free to let me know if you think I’ve been unrealistic and why… Whatever is left over can then be sold on. If I can’t find a buyer for the bike, I will consider parting it out.

Frameset is a black Cannondale M400.
It’s a 1995 3.0 Series 6061-T6 aluminium frame, size is 18” There are a few places where the black paint has been chipped away or scratched off, but it’s in VGC, with no noticeable dents or dings (£95).

Forks are Rock Shox Judy SL with a 1” steerer.
These come complete with a spare set of normal elastomers (the inserted set are “light”) plus an unused container of Judy Butter and the original instructions. The fork legs are yellow, the decals were removed by me because I liked my bikes to be ad-free, and there is one tiny chip in the paint on the right-hand fork leg. I have got some original Rock Shox stickers that may work as replacements if necessary (see below for more details re: stickers)(£120)

The Headset is a Chris King 1” in silver.(£50)

Chainset is a Topline MicroDrive compact triple in black, 175mm arms.
almost mint (few small scrapes and scratches to the anodizing, but hardly noticeable), rings are 42/32/22, small amount of use but in excellent condition. I’ve probably got some extra 20 and 22 inner chainrings, possibly some spare middle and outer too. The bottom bracket is just an old Shimano, but it’s the correct axle length, runs smoothly and remains out of sight! (£125)

The Stem is a 105mm 1” Qranc aQhead, +18° rise.
It's silver anodized, beautifully CNC-machined with external ribs, two-bolt fixing with rubber spacer, with a two-bolt faceplate with B&W logo. It’s almost mint, with just some tiny marks on the barrel and where spacers/ahead cap have been fitted. (£60)

The Handlebars are Bontrager/Titec 118g Titanium with a 3° bend.
Inside are a set of Berts Aluminium reinforcements at the ends of the bars. Bar grips are thin black rubber, original (can’t remember the brand – Odi maybe?) with a fine diamond file pattern. Bar ends are lightweight Icon stubbies with their rounded triangle profile. One end cap went missing, I have recreated it in Sugru (you’d never tell without looking very closely)(£50)

Brake Levers are Grafton Re-entry CNC-machined.
These are anodized black, one finger model. The original lever rubbers have wasted away (still have these for reference if it helps), but otherwise these are mint. I have some Tioga replacement rubbers installed. These come with instructions, I might have some spare original split rings too (£150)

Shifters are Suntour XC Pro7spd thumbshifters in black.
They're completely mint, rubber in great condition, the only non-original items are the cable adjustment screws, which have been replaced by red alloy versions (Lynx)(£40)

Brakes are Avid Tri-Align short-arm cantilevers in Silver.
They come with Kool-Stop Eagle Claw silver pads, barely worn down. These come with original installation instructions and a set-up guide(£60)

Derailleurs are Suntour XC Pro Microdrive.
The front is band-on and rear is short cage with alloy breakaway bolt (and I’m pretty sure I’ve got the original bolt too). These are pretty much mint condition, with just a very few small scratches on body of rear derailleur and inside the jockey wheel cage. There is a small amount of, black marker pen over “Suntour” logo on front of the RD’s parallelogram (which some acetone will surely shift…) (£60)

The outer cables are mostly original Suntour Accushift in black

The seatpost is a Dean Titanium
It has no setback, 350mm long, 27.2mm diameter with a two-bolt adjustable head(£50)

The saddle is a Ritchey Logic WCS
It's got titanium rails, it's white and it's in superb condition.(£35)

The seat collar that came with the Cannondale frame is a no-name black alloy, but I can supply a Ringle seat collar (bolted no QR), black anodized, 31.8mm which should fit - it seemed tight and I didn’t want to force it on and strip any paint off the top of the seat tube(£40)

On to the Wheels – hubs are Suntour XC Pro Microdrive with GreaseGuard ports, 32h built with Mavic M231CD rims and DB stainless spokes.
Tyres - a classic combination of 2.1 Panaracer Smoke Dart on the front and 2.2 Ritchey Z-Max WCS on the rear. Both folding, both in great nick.
Inner Tubes – these are Air B (the pinky ones) 2.1s only recently removed from their plastic packaging and pumped up for the first time.
Cassette is a Suntour MicroDrive 7spd 11-24 (11/12/14/16/18/21/24) in fantastic condition
QRs are Salsa Ti in black (£175 all in)

Ringle Chainsuck thing in 3DV violet – has been tweaked for max performance, so filed, drilled, bits screwed in to the faces opposite the chainrings, but still looks good and works (£20)

Crud Catcher Crud Claw – for 7spd cassettes, fits behind the rear wheel QR (£10)

Rohloff SLT-99 Chain – very low mileage (£15)

So, all in all, the bike as listed, is for sale for £1155, but we’ll call it £900 as is with everything above included.

It’s not just the bike that’s for sale though – there are a whole stack of extras which the bike buyer gets first dibs on:

There are a whole host of original stickers and instructions/adverts etc that I have kept all these years – will happily give away a selection to the buyer of the bike (stickers might be good for hiding some of the paint scrapes?)

If you really, really want to push the boat out, you could go for these:
Ultralight classic MTB wheelset. – Mavic 231 Ceramic 32h rims on Suntour XC Pro GreaseGuard hubs with Union/Marwi straight-gauge titanium spokes. Front weighs 723g, rear is 934g, 7spd XC Pro MicroDrive 11-24 cassette weighs 234g. Comes with pair of Ritchey Z-Max WC rear and Panaracer Smoke/Dart front tyres – both blackwall, in VGC, these are the XXX version with extra-large knobs for extreme conditions, with AirB inner tubes and Zero Ti QRs in black. Immaculate condition. (£300 all in)

Or there’s the option of an Ibis Titanium MTB aheadstem. Polished to a mirror finish, 1” 135mm, 0° for 25.4mm handlebars – the finest stem ever made, in almost perfect condition. Truly a work of art, remains unsurpassed by anything since (you’ll still be hard-pressed to find anything lighter). They stopped making them because they lost money, given the amount of work that went into each stem…(£100)

Campagnolo Atek rims. pair, silver, non-anodized semi “V” profile, no eyelets (390g per rim!) 32 hole, small amount of discolouring on brake track, but very little wear, almost new (£60)

FIR M122 Ceramic MTB rims. Pair, 32h hard anodized, still in wrapping, brand new. Best MTB rims for a classic (canti/V-brake) build. Almost indestructible, fantastic stopping power in the wet and dry (£100)

AirB inner tube boxed, standard MTB size (£5)

Zero Titanium 113mm BB. Al cups, British threading, square-taper Shimano-compatible, used but good condition (£25)

Avid Tri-Align cantilever brakeset. Pair front and rear, silver, short arm, includes moveable cable yoke pieces and all necessary parts (no mounting bolts to attach brakes to frame braze-ons)(£60)

Have a selection of brand new bagged 7s 11-24 Suntour MicroDrive cassettes – mostly black, but some in silver (which may be slightly used, but may be so slight you’ll hardly notice) (£25ea) Also have a bunch of Sedis 7s silver chains that are new (£8ea)

Suntour XC Pro Microdrive front derailleur – it’s band-on 1.125” (28.6mm) in very good condition, some very minor loss of chrome on cage and some light rust spots under top of cage (£20)

Shimano Deore DX and Deore XT short cage 7-spd rear derailleurs in excellent condition – very little use, near new. XT has a black alloy breakaway main pivot bolt and the original as a spare (£20ea)

Pair of SRP Ti crank bolts with integral washers (£15)

And I have a pair of Dean Ti seatposts, from their very first release, with a one-bolt tubular clamp onto a two-piece cylindrical Al seat rail clamp. One is around 300-350mm and the other about 200mm, but the longer one has been slightly modified so it will only work with saddles with 8mm rails. The short one will work with saddles with 7mm rails. Neither are suitable for use with carbon rails due to the way in which the saddle has to be mounted on the rails (£25ea)

Depending on what you want, I will put together a total and knock something off. Anyone is welcome to put in a request for any of the parts, but I really want to sell the bike as a rolling concern.

Pics are of the bike. Once it sells, I'll repost the other parts left for sale with pics. Any questions, feel free to get in touch…

j.

Attachments

• DSC08709.jpg
    DSC08709.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,614
  • DSC08711.jpg
    DSC08711.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,614
  • DSC08712.jpg
    DSC08712.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,614
  • DSC08714.jpg
    DSC08714.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,614
  • DSC08717.jpg
    DSC08717.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,614
  • DSC08720.jpg
    DSC08720.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,614
  • DSC08722.jpg
    DSC08722.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,614
  • DSC08725.jpg
    DSC08725.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,614
Thats gotta be the most 'upgraded' M400 ..ever! Class! Hope some one buys it complete.

edit......oh and can i have whatever dibs there is on these pls

32 Hole Silver Campagnolo Atek rims. - £60

As I've tried to indicate in the above posting, the bike price isn't set in stone, as I have no great experience in pricing up the vintage stuff

j.

2nd on these Shimano Deore DX and Deore XT short cage 7-spd rear derailleurs in excellent condition – very little use, near new. XT has a black alloy breakaway main pivot bolt and the original as a spare (£20ea)

Back