Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:44 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

al-onestare wrote:

I like the numbered check-list approach. Here's mine :)

1. Will I ride this bike more than 6 times in 12 months?

If it's not going to be ridden (on average) at least one time every other month then there's no point owning it. If the answer is yes, then:

2. Which bike will this replace?

My bike rack totals 8. Anymore and I won't have enough room to use the garage for tinkering, storage, etc. So, it's 1 in 1 out.

This really focuses the heart and mind. For me, it also raises the quality of the build as it's something I'm really invested in.

I really like that.it boils the decision making process down to its essentials.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Twister wrote:
al-onestare wrote:

I like the numbered check-list approach. Here's mine :)

1. Will I ride this bike more than 6 times in 12 months?

If it's not going to be ridden (on average) at least one time every other month then there's no point owning it. If the answer is yes, then:

2. Which bike will this replace?

My bike rack totals 8. Anymore and I won't have enough room to use the garage for tinkering, storage, etc. So, it's 1 in 1 out.

This really focuses the heart and mind. For me, it also raises the quality of the build as it's something I'm really invested in.

I really like that.it boils the decision making process down to its essentials.

Nice code of principals. Owned 6 Yos over the years and finally..... found a perfect 100% rust free example with factory BOI from California and imported it at huge cost. Rode it for a few months and fell in love with it. I then had it repainted by FATCREATIONS in my dream paint job B/G Harelequin fade. It looks incredible and I cant stop looking at it and same with all the visitors :lol: Built it up with the best mostly NOS bling parts. Its just hanging on the livingroom wall for the last few years. Im scarded the kid and her play mates will damage it :facepalm: Im too ocd with finally achieving perfection to ride it now. :facepalm: I have issues :facepalm:

There is no other option but to sell it. Gut wrenching though that will be
as i will never find another in this condition. :facepalm: This will then be followed by years hunting for another one....and so the process goes on and on....its just insane :facepalm:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:33 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Yep. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:20 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Somebody explain the psycology of this behaviour....please ! They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and again but expecting a different result :roll:

Anybody else see a Wanted add for a rare part that you have ? You want to help a RB brother out, its not gonna get used realistically for years. You fish it out to take pics, touch it, use the baby wipes on it, look at it for the evening, then just put it back in the cabinet, guilt trip engaged cos you might never find another :facepalm:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:52 am 
Old School Hero

M-Power wrote:
Somebody explain the psycology of this behaviour....please !

To me this is mostly FOMO (fear of missing out). You see a nice bike/part, at a price you think is interesting, and the thought is not "do I need it?" but rather "will I ever find something similar again?". A big trick in marketing is induced scarcity "Buy it now 20% cheaper, on Monday back to regular price!". Due to the nature of retro bikes (i.e. no longer made) this scarcity factor is already embedded into them. There will never be more thumbies made, or Klein frames, etc.

I'm already in the reduction path, and the big motivation factors for me were:
-had 1 kid last year, another one underway. Less time to ride, less time to tinker. The crap that is not used has to go
-planning a 2 year cycletouring trip in about 2 years time, with the kids (using the generous German parental leave). That means we'll need to empty our apartment and the leftover crap will go to the in-laws for storage, so the less burden we leave them, the better.

So currently aiming for the "only one bike for all" nirvana. I have 2 bikes (retro, of course) that will be used for the trip and then sold/donated at destination. I would get for them about the same money I'd have to pay in airline fees to bring them back anyway, and I know I can tear them to pieces and build them back if needed, which is ideal when touring to be self-reliant.

A couple of easy tricks to stop the build up of excessive stock:
-stop visiting selling sites/markets (logical, it's like an alcoholic going to a bar "just for a fanta", but we still fall again and again into it)
-if the urge for something "new" comes, best for me is to go down to the garage and fix stuff. There's always something to do. An alternative I used in previous years was to hunt for good bikes in terrible condition, fix them, and then either donate to local charities or to bikeless friends. The craving is satisfied, but it doesn't increase the personal stock, and it's a great cause to put our mechanical skills (and freakiness) into use. 2 years ago, during the big refugee wave into Germany, I managed to donate 8 bikes, mostly kiddy bikes, to the local welcoming team, while investing just 70 EUR total, as most needed some TLC.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:44 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Last year I built up my STS and liked it so much I decided it was the one bike I needed for XC (my default off-road riding).
Then I bought Mrs Twister a Superlight frame (still unfinished) to replace her modern hard tail. (She commutes on a Clockwork)
Then in January I bought my first modern bike since ‘97, a Genesis Fortitude for commuting and winter mtb duties.
I just bought a ‘02 Jekyll to ride as well as the STS.

Then I went to Bike Park Wales and decided I really need a 575 or similar. :oops:
I still have my old Cannondale commuter and 3 nineties frames to sell as well as boxes of different groupsets and various parts.

My life would be so much simpler with less clutter...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:43 pm 
Old School Hero

Sorry to put temptation in anyone's path but this looks amazing. A pitiful design which will lock out when you pedal but a classic I'd love to have...…………….
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Vintag ... SwjNZbYIAZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:46 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I thought I had at least held by addition at arms length after going 6 months without a purchase :P

Then I bought a 33 year old VW Polo like my first car instead of another bike :facepalm:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:05 am 
Retro Guru

widowmaker wrote:
I thought I had at least held by addition at arms length after going 6 months without a purchase :P

Then I bought a 33 year old VW Polo like my first car instead of another bike :facepalm:

Breadvan or coupe?!

Had lots of Polos from 1st car onwards, had a mk1, couple of mk2's and LOTS of mk3's. Fave being a breadvan GT.

Put a thread up on "other projects"!

Jeez......now I might have to head over to ebay and see what's about...... :D

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:42 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joe_Rides wrote:
widowmaker wrote:

Breadvan or coupe?!

Had lots of Polos from 1st car onwards, had a mk1, couple of mk2's and LOTS of mk3's. Fave being a breadvan GT.

Put a thread up on "other projects"!

Jeez......now I might have to head over to ebay and see what's about...... :D

Neither, its a Saloon version 8)

Had one as my first car 25+ years ago and was offered one recently so couldn't say no :facepalm:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next