Has anyone tried cycling in 2-3” of new snow?

Rotorhead

Retro Guru
Serious question. About to try. Using a 1999 Marin Nail Trail with nobblies of course. Advice welcome. staying put not an option :xmas-big-grin:

Ride as if you are riding a bike in snow, its snow different to riding any other time. The ground is rock solid so watch that front wheel on slippery bits.

If its really snowy, watch for it building up as mud would and slowing you down but given most of todays temps are well under freezing it should be quite powdery.

Front mechs may freeze and snow may bugger up the shifting and rim brakes

Yeah, every year. It's just like riding in very dry, shallow sand. Front wheel gets a bit squirrely, but it's not difficult.

If it's wet/heavy snow, it's like damp concrete. Bloody horrible.

Re:

Used to do it all the time bitd when we quite regularly had snowy winters. Never came off and found the old Spesh GC tyres were good.

Re:

Thanks for the advice all. Anyway: mission accomplished - 6.5 miles , no spills. The powder was best: good traction, like dry sand as someone said. The journey home tonight could be hard-packed ice that cant be good. Obligatory picture attached.

My toes are bloody freezing mind.

Attachments

• Nail Trail.JPG
    Nail Trail.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 531

Picture from last winter - also in Berlin the temperature is currently down to -10°C and less (it feels like -20°C really it does! - I just came back from the kindergarden...) we had no snow this year...

Ride on!
Marco

caemis":3nwpumsi said:

Picture from last winter - also in Berlin the temperature is currently down to -10°C and less (it feels like -20°C really it does! - I just came back from the kindergarden...) we had no snow this year...

Ride on!
Marco
That stability device you have hitched up is cheating :LOL:

Back