Has anyone tried cycling in 2-3” of new snow?

I've a couple of old knobbly tyres with 1/4in wood screws through them. The last major snows we had in 2012, I was the fastest thing in town

At home we've got -13 today and about 15-18cm of snow. Forecast to get colder and snow more at the weekend.

At work, it's just bloody freezing. No snow worth speaking of, less than 10cm.

mattr":246hu0lc said:
At home we've got -13 today and about 15-18cm of snow. Forecast to get colder and snow more at the weekend.

At work, it's just bloody freezing. No snow worth speaking of, less than 10cm.

Where's home The North Pole!!! :? More importantly: have you been out on your bike yet?

Schweeden.

And no, not been out on the bike for a good while. I've had a series of injuries and now colds. And the kids have been ill as well.

Making do with racing (toy) cars, riding Zwift when i can and making sure everything is fixed, serviced and ready to ride.

Even been planning a rebuild of my last racebike as i *think* i have all the parts i need. Except one brake hose.

caemis":1eeorx2s said:

Picture from last winter - also in Berlin the temperature is currently down to -10°C and less (it feels like -20°C really it does! - I just came back from the kindergarden...) we had no snow this year...

Ride on!
Marco

That stem has one hell of a rise!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

legrandefromage":3f1gz1pq said:
Ride as if you are riding a bike in snow, its snow different to riding any other time. The ground is rock solid so watch that front wheel on slippery bits.

If its really snowy, watch for it building up as mud would and slowing you down but given most of todays temps are well under freezing it should be quite powdery.

Front mechs may freeze and snow may bugger up the shifting and rim brakes

Thx: the front mech did freeze. Very accurate!!

Seca Blue":z5eij43w said:
caemis":z5eij43w said:

Picture from last winter - also in Berlin the temperature is currently down to -10°C and less (it feels like -20°C really it does! - I just came back from the kindergarden...) we had no snow this year...

Ride on!
Marco

That stem has one hell of a rise!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It called Salsa P10 with 53° rise and 100mm reach - good for dirt drops ... Quite rare these days... :LOL:

Bloody colleagues wouldn't let me take the draglift. Spoilsports!

n3SgLT9l.jpg

Re:

Commute in that all winter, be aware what's under fresh snow (ice or pavement?) and plan your turns ahead (early breaking). The biggest problem is when the front well meets resistance while you are hammering you can highside

Back