Found (one of) my grails. 1985 Stumpjumper Team

cvdubya

Dirt Disciple
Incase anyone was wondering, I was previously "dubya" but for some reason I wasn't able to log into my account so I just made a new one.

Anyway, this is one I've been after for months. I found it while I was selling my 2014 Stumpjumper Comp oddly enough. The owner contacted me asking if I would trade my 2014 for his 86 Team but I had literally just sold, and spent the money, days earlier. We started chatting and he said he wasn't even planning on getting rid of it but if I wanted I could buy it down the road. Luckily for me he didn't list it for sale on any pages or forums!

Fast forward almost 5 months and I finally had the funds to bring this baby home. It was in about 50% original condition with a lot of DX components, T Bone stem and nice gray ano Taperlite bars. He gave me a pile of old parts including the original stem, bars, levers, pedals, M700 derailers, rear Specialized Sealed hub with original Shimano 600 cluster and rear Suntour XC Power roller cam brake. 2 nice pairs of vintage Ground Control and Ground Control Extreme tires, about a dozen old Dura Ace, 600, HG20, Suntour Winner Pro freewheels and random hub bearings and what not.

It's pretty much how it'll stay as it sits right now. Is mostly original again with the exception of the M732 thumbies, M732 front canti, M732 rear hub and HG90 cassette, which I think are all good upgrades so they'll stay. A new chain & cables will have this thing on the gravel again!

The coolest part about this find is after 31 years he still had the original owners manual, sales receipt ($1033.50 USD) and an extra original full decal kit incase he ever wanted to repaint it.

Sorry for the lousy photos. I'll try to get better ones of the bike in the wild once it's finished soon. Thanks for looking! http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/dubya ... sort=3&o=1

Re: Found (one of) my grails. 1986 Stumpjumper Team

Very nice indeed. Also one of my grail bikes! It looks in fine condition, though I don't think I'd be able to resist putting those original parts back on it.

street":nyfn8x0d said:
Very nice indeed. Also one of my grail bikes! It looks in fine condition, though I don't think I'd be able to resist putting those original parts back on it.

It is in very, very fine condition. There's hardly a mark on it and no cable rub to be found. The original owner had small pieces of tape in all the right spots to save the fram .

I do have the original rear hub and freewheel but I'm missing the correct shifters levers. It's hard to beat the shifting of the M732 but I'd still like to track down the correct ones just to have.

16vGTI":1nrbfzb8 said:
WOW!! Very nice! What size is she ?

According to the receipt, if I'm reading it right, it's a medium at 20.5"

They were made from 17.5" up to 22.5"

Re:

Looks so clean. I love the Teams. Do you plan to use it much or is it mainly to be a wall hanger?

Nice find. Is it a 1986 serial number. I've heard the 86s had a bit better tire clearance than the 85, but I've never confirmed that.

I gotta finish mine. I've had it for years.

Re: Re:

16vGTI":3o8rrckh said:
Looks so clean. I love the Teams. Do you plan to use it much or is it mainly to be a wall hanger?

It's going to be ridden occasionally but probably only on tar and gravel. I would die if I put a ding in the paint.

Latest posts

Back