Hmmm what Mavic rims?

PopsTrippin

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm currently looking to buy or build some wheels from 1994 but a bit baffled by the Mavic range available in that year! Apart from the omnipresent m231. Marin as a rule generally specced their top end bikes with Araya but in 1994 they went for Mavic 230 TIB. I have read a lot of horror stories of rims collapsing and spokes pulling through the eyelets on them.

What superseded the m230 tib or what else was better from that year?

PopsTrippin":1jdw0n73 said:
What superseded the m230 tib or what else was better from that year?

Pretty much anything.... Horrible rims! (IMHO)

117s came out in 1994 I think, with 217s in '95. Slightly heavier than 230s, but a much, much better rim

Or, as you say good old 231s - still much better than the 230, except for the very shallow braking surface. stronger and better as I remember them - and worth it for the extra 30g.

Seem to remember 230s being pretty much impossible to true once they went out - seemed too brittle or something. They were light though...

Re:

Almost every used 217 or 517 rim that I've had through my hands had cracks between the eyelets. Whereas all eight used m231 rims that I have here at the moment don't have any cracks at all. I would pick the 231 every time. In silver they become dirty easily and are hard to get really clean again. The dark grey 231's are therefore the ideal choice.

As Longboard writes, rim surfaces are less durable.

Re:

Thanks for your responses guys.. certainly food for thought. I do like the m231's i have on a couple of pairs on older bikes (92&93) but for my most modern bike (94) :p i would like to try something different. I guess in 94 rim braking surfaces got a little bigger and i'd like to try that innovation :D i have seen a few different mavic rims with different numbers on them but i have no idea which ones are durable and light.

Re:

If it´s important to you to build a period correct bike, I think the 117 was introduced in 1994 and weighed 450 gram. The 217 was introduced in 1995 and weighed 410 gram. The X517 was introduced in 1998 and weighed 395 gram. I think the non-SUP 220, 221, 238, X222 are also very suitable to build a nice wheelset.
By the way, the 231 was available until 1995 so for the purists it can even be combined with 737 and 910 hubs.

I recently replace 217's (rear rim wall blew out/puncture) with 317's (XM317) chose 317 thinking they were the last Mavic rims made for rim brakes? (disc version available). A tad rare to find second one but well happy now running 317's. But does anyone out there know time line years these rim braked 317's were made? Thanks guys as always x-ing fingers. W

Last edited:
Back