Suspension fork valves?

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I was about to inflate my Specialized Future Shock fork this morning... right side kept pressure, but when I took the needle out of the left side it just deflated on me... all the way empty :-( Anyone know where I can get replacements for this? I've seen some doing rebuild valves for Rock Shox MAG21 forks here, can't remember who it was and if this also works for Future Shock forks, this one is essentially the RS-1 version for Specialized. The one without the adjusters on top (and I know that RS-1 top caps actually fit this fork as they're identical).

Hope someone can help me with this, I'd hate to see this fork rendered useless because of a little piece of rubber :oops:

I never heard of a specialized fork that was like a RS1. The ones I have are all similar to the RS Mag"xx". For those I made myself a few new rubber plugs out of silicone. You can find the thread that inspired me here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=268636

If your fork really is a RS1-alike, would you mind posting a few pics of it, I'd be very interrested seeing such a fork.

Edit: Why did those effin' @&€;:))€& from Rockshox name their new fork like the original old one? Clogging up google search with useless stuff, damnit! :facepalm:

I saw your thread and indeed had been thinking about Schraeder Valves too, seen someone do it to a RS MAG-21 on the net... and my Judy FSX with Englund Cartridges had that too, works a charm! Just afraid the valves would stick out too much so they'd hit the downtube.

Anyway, I was lucky to find in the basement another Future Shock with the same internals. It's a newer model and it was sold as the SE (I think as the Future Shock Sport in 1993/1994). Mines like that except with different lowers, it the very first version that came to market in 1991/1992. So I tested the SE fork and that one kept air... so I switched valves from this fork to the other and the problem is sold. BTW: the valves are just aluminum kinda mushroom like tubes with a rubber internal inside, the exact same ones are in my RS-1 fork, but I didn't want to take the valves from that one :oops:

Here's what it looks like (I very much like the staged lowers):

The brake arch is one I found somewhere and I actually saw it in an MBA from 1992 (or 1993). It's called STOP! and it was an aftermarket brace for the RS MAG-20... never seen one anywhere (on the net or in real life). I like it, very beefy brace and very little flex while braking :)

I also have one of these with adjusters, that fork was a replacement for my 1992 StumpJumper FS bike I bought from new back then. It originally came with the above fork (it's in my S-Works Carbon) but when the seals started leaking I'd sent the fork back to Specialized Benelux and got the adjustable one as a replacement :)

Attachments

• FutureShock02.jpg
    FutureShock02.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 367
  • FutureShock01.jpg
    FutureShock01.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 367
Re:

I think they are all designed around the MAG20 and hence the cheaper MAG30 for lower models too.

Do you have a picture of the valves. There are two type, the 8mm cyclender plug and the same thing in a plastic case as used on mag30 and 93mag10s
Which are much harder to do.

If the metal recesses to a valve like the mag10 the tyre valve setup works really well.

It's these ones, the exact same ones are in my RS-1 fork:

Attachments

• FSvalve03.jpg
    FSvalve03.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 291
  • FSvalve02.jpg
    FSvalve02.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 290
  • FSvalve01.jpg
    FSvalve01.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 290
Back