Replacing rims.

16vGTI

Retro Guru
Hi, not sure if I've put this is the right section so apologies if it's not.

I have a wheelset which consists of Deore DX hubs, DT Swiss spokes & Specialized GX23 rims.

The rims are very concave & worn so I've picked up a cheap pair of used good condition rims, which are Mavic 237 & Mavic 217/517.

My plan is to swap the rims over by taping the new rims in position to the old and just swapping the spokes across.

The rim profile is a different shape on the Mavics - especially the 217/517 which is more of a 'V' shape. Is it possible to just swap rims over like that if they are not like for like or will the spokes be the wrong length?

I did enquire at the local bike shop about swapping rims over but they said they would not reuse old spokes because they stretch, and was quoted £150 for the job using new spokes. This is a budget build so that's not an option!

You need to check the spke length needed on a spoke calculator - there is one on the DT Swiss website I think.

Thanks Fagin. I did go on that but it asks for a lot of info that I just don't know about my hubs & rims.

You need to look up the ERD of the rim - that's the diameter of the rim at the spoke bed. If they are within 2-3mm you will likely get away with it.

Thanks Hamster. I've just done a bit of googling and found the following:

Mavic 237 ERD - 539mm
Mavic 217 ERD - 540.5mm
Specialized GX23 ERD - 547mm

Looks like it's not going to be possible.

IIRC Mavic 231 are around 547/548.
You could probably get away with the same spokes by going to 2X lacing, but that's a bit more involved...

Back