Help with suspension forks

Bentert

Dirt Disciple
Things are slowly moving on with my Haro MTB BMX cross over project however I'm stuck at the forks.

Having never ridden MTB I've never had to worry about suspension, but I've decided to get some replacements for the seized up RST forks which I've removed.

So, what size forks do I need?

Here's what I've taken off

bb32bd9.jpg

b80e0a8.jpg

Can someone point me in the direction of some replacement forks?

I quite like the Rock Shox Judys in red are these any good?

Re:

From the pics it looks like you need some forks with a steerer 8 1/2" long by 16 feet wide.... :LOL:

Steerer Diameter looks to be 25.4mm, or 1" if you prefer.

Steerer Length around 210mm?

Steerer is a plain "Ahead" type ie it doesn't have threads cut into the top of it like you get with the generally older "Threaded" forks for more traditional headsets.

So you need some forks with a plain 1" steerer 210mm long.

Other things to consider are the axle to crown length of the fork, and the amount of suspension travel, both of these vary from bike to bike .But your old forks should be able to give you a rough idea. Oh, and make sure the forks have either brake bosses or a disc tab, depending on what brakes you're going to use.

Rock Shox Judy's are decent retro forks, they should be better than the RST forks you took off, best to check but I think the older red ones are the DH model, slightly more modern red ones are the "Race" version, sure someone else can confirm this.

Looks like there was a massive stack of spacers underneath that stem, right?
If that is the case, you might get away with some shorter steerer. Because the spacers could be repaced by some rising stem.

To me that tape doesn't look to be sitting right across the steerer tube of the forks. I'd say they were 1 1/8. Tapes always seem to pull open at the end. I'd measure very carefully across the widest part of the steerer and if you do have to use a tape start the measurement from the 100mm mark and you should get a more accurate reading. A clear plastic ruler would be even better as the tape doesnt allow you to see whether you have it central.

It's definitely a 1" steerer. The end of a tape pulls out/pushes in by the thickness of the tang, to allow accurate measuring whether the tang is hooked on something (under tension) or pressed up against something (under compression).

The end of that steerer looks to have been hammered upon, slightly mushrooming its top.

J

Back