Difference Between 6 Speed & 8 Speed Uniglide Locking Rings

woodbine

Dirt Disciple
I'm after a 14 teeth smallest/locking outer sprocket for my mid 80s MTB 6 speed Uniglide cassette (Deore/MT60 M730). They seem to be very elusive. However, a cheap, new 8 speed Uniglide cassette has come up. Will the 14 teeth smallest/locking sprocket on this 8 speeder be the same as the one on my 6 speed?

All other sprockets on the UG cassette have spacers, but the smallest sprockets have an integral raised shoulder to act as spacer between it and the second sprocket? Is the shoulder on 6 and 8 speeds the same thickness?

I've never come across 8 speed uniglide. As far as I know it's hyperglide with the lockring from 7 speed onwards.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Every day is a learning experience!

The cog spacing will be different between 8 and 6. Fron what I can see the locking sprocket has a shoulder. You might need to fit a spacer (old HG spacer should fit fine) and it will all probably work after a little fiddling. The sprocket spacing is 5.5mm on 6 speed, 4.8mm on 8...so you should ideally add 0.7mm extra. With the float on the top jockey wheel taking up errors, I think the HG spacer will improve things enough.

Back