Manitou/Marin FRS Replica Type Thingy? Balance Pro 750?

Mikb23

Old School Hero
Has anyone got the slightest idea what this might be or who it might be made by? It looks to be based on a Manitou/Marin FRS design but I have not seen one before?

Attachments

• Manitou-Answer-replica.jpg
    Manitou-Answer-replica.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 944
Re:

Balance used to make a version of this, relatively low end in comparison to the Marin or manitou so this could be that.

Re: Manitou/Marin FRS Replica Type Thingy?

It is indeed a Balance - a Pro 750 I believe? One of these I think?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 909
Re: Manitou/Marin FRS Replica Type Thingy?

Well I've just brought it. This could be the start of something special... or something that sits in the shed untouched for a few years! They look like they were pretty expensive bikes when they were new.

These one appears to have had a few 'downgrades' over the years but I have some period correct LX stuff from my Killer V900 in the shed that will take it back to it's original spec.

What do people think? Don't know much about these? Collectable classic or a worthless curio?

Re:

Does it even really matter, for if you build it into something nice without throwing too much money at it ... you've got yourself a fairly unique conversation piece/eye candy.

Re:

Just wanted people's general opinion on it really. It's not a bike I'm familiar with. I wondered if it was a good find or just an unrideable lump of metal!!

I think it's a good find, though I'm partial to odd suspension. Funny how there's a manitou on the front.

There are a few threads on here I've read on balance frames, though most have been about sorting out the sseized rear suspension so hopefully yours won't be.

Re:

Think the Manitous may have been standard? The picture of the new bike I posted above has Manitous on it.

Re:

Small company on the great scheme of things.

The frame is made using Alcoa 7005 heat treated aluminium, nice welds, and originally had a anodised and high polish finish, all models here in the Uk had a Manitou front fork, the rear end on all FS models used an RST. FWIW it was made in the same factory as Marin at the time.

I forget which rider rode for them in or around 93 when it gained the world cup dual slalom and D/H title, hence the head badge being used with the championship colours.

Cycle Surgery (before the expansion and multiple outlets,) sold containers of them BITD.

Back