Retro/new tyres suitable for use on sand...? As in, beach...

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I know I asked this question years ago but I can't find the thread now. Need tyres for my beach going bike, very fine sand, possibly to be followed by riding through some trails in the woods. What's best?

And yes, I know, the sand will get in everything, mix with the oil, form a grinding paste, etc, etc. Well aware of all that, just doing a cheap fun build for the summer based on a non rusting alloy frame, rest will be binned and replaced as it gets trashed.

Chain lubrication. Spray wax type lube on the sides so it goes in between side plates and rollers. Then run chain through a cloth to remove excess leaving the lube where its needed and not all over the chain where grit and sand can stick to it. Some gtot/ sand will still stick as there still will be lube on surface unless you clean each roller but will help.

Re sand tyres, i would have thought widest is best, knobbliness less important unless you ride in mud in which it is. You can get away with semi slicks on dry trails.

With 26 in rim, guessing here, lots of choice with 2.4 , can get wider sizes even 3.0.

Re:

Good point re. chain lubing.

May have to watch the overall width as they'll be going on a retro stead, rear end may not want to take more than 2.1, so to speak, but as forks as yet undecided, could be possible to go large at the front....

Re:

Done a fair bit of beach riding, it's the type of sand that makes a difference, more than the tyres (unless you go full Retard and get a Fat Bike).
I've quite happily pedalled along firm wet sand on Schwalbe Marathon tyres, when the sand gets drier just about anything will sink in and be unrideable.
I found cycling next to the edge of the water was best, sand is damp and firm, you can actually get a good speed up!

I can say don't use Continental Cross-Country (retro version). Remember they were fast tyres on most surfaces but got very, very wonky on sand. Clearly remember being low sided by them mid-race once (admitedly I'd just waved at a monk so I suspect divine intervention).

Re:

:LOL: :LOL:

Thanks chaps, something to think on there. Will be a little bit of firm sand mostly I think from what I've seen, but then if the tide is well out and the weather's been good, obviously it could be different. It hasn't got to be ride-able in all types of sand conditions, it's more really making sure it has tyres that can cope with trails too. Deep fine sand I may just get off and push....

Re:

I've occasionally ridden on the sandy beach near the harbour when the tide is out and I'm taking a round-a-bout route to or from the town. Complete with full mudguards, rack, Schwalbe Marathon Plus, 26x1.75" and sometimes a backpack full of shopping. It's all fine on firm damp sand, but things can come to a very sudden halt if you hit a patch of dry sand. :D

Trying to stay upright through patches of shingle on the sea wall can be quite amusing too.

Re:

Xerxes - Yep could be quite entertaining all round :LOL:

Barry, a discussion was had about a fat bike, there was a lot of general amusement until I pointed out a lot of you lads in Scotland used them seriously off road, oh and by the way some were single speeded....sniggering stopped at that point....

Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":13poqong said:
Barry, a discussion was had about a fat bike, there was a lot of general amusement until I pointed out a lot of you lads in Scotland used them seriously off road, oh and by the way some were single speeded....sniggering stopped at that point....

Indeed, it is true, but that one above is not my ss one.

This one is my ss one. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_0448w.jpg
    IMG_0448w.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 653
Back