gear issues

Seca Blue

Retro Guru
Allo,

So I've had some gearing issues since getting the bike back on the road.
I've changed cables, jockey wheels, chain and freewheel, which has helped a bit, but the indexing is still not right.
As as side issue, since doing all of this, the chain now just grazes the frame when it sits on the smallest cog at rear at the same time as the middle or big rings at the front.
Guess there must be a few tooth on that cog than the outgoing one.

There isn't a huge amount of axel that sits in the dropouts, but is the only way to deal with this by putting a washer on that axel to stop drawing the stays so close together.
Can't see what else I could do.

I'm using XT thumbies and rear mech and a 7 speed freewheel
Hope that makes sense.

Sounds like your frame is designed for 135 rear hub spacing and you have a 130 so when you tighten the wheel, it's pulling the frame in. Could be wrong of course.

You haven't replaced the BB recently have you?

Re:

Just seen that you mention you are using a freewheel rather than a freehub and cassettes and that you have fitted a new one.
Some freewheels sit a little further across towards the drive side than others. Compare it with the old one if you can, and also make sure it's threaded all the way on to the hub.
You may need to rebuild the hub, adjusting the axle spacers to allow for the freewheel position. After that, the wheel will also need redishing.

raidan73":sjli3nii said:
You haven't replaced the BB recently have you?

Nope, just the bits I mentioned. In fact that bb's been there for 22 years - sealed for life Mavic said, so I'm taking their word for it ;-).

I don't think hanger is bent, but shouldn't really matter as it's the chain route above the freewheel that's causing the prob. It's just touching the inside of the seatstay.

I think this new freewheel must just sit out a smudge further- slight irritation. Might have to replace it again.

After some deliberation I have remembered that the new freewheel has a spokeguard, which the old one didn't. I reckon that's the cause.

More exciting news as it happens.

Back