pickup pins and ramps?

rattinox

Retro Newbie
I need to replace the middle chainring from my Ancient and Venerable '93 Rockhopper. Looks like the previous owner(s) wasn't big on adjusting the shifter or derailleur- there is some fairly serious gouging and wear.

None of the "modern" new 36t chainrings has this type of pickup pins (plates) or ramps.

I love the shifting; nice and crisp.

Are the pins/ramps critical in a new chainring? (I very rarely shift chainrings from the middle)

Attachments

• Shimano SG F36t RS in.jpg
    Shimano SG F36t RS in.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 346
TBH ive ridden on many chainrings including those, lx as a minimum, and you knoiw what, after a ride ive never stopped and said hmmm them xyz ring shift really well or them abcde rings dont shift too good.

Maybe im not that a great rider to spot the subtle difference or maybe its just marketing bollox.... just like ig/hg chains, as lemmy said, its all the same to me.

So basically if you can find another then its nice to keep it original else just buy a different one.

rattinox":1wbx2u2k said:
None of the "modern" new 36t chainrings has this type of pickup pins (plates) or ramps.

I love the shifting; nice and crisp.
Whut? You sure you are looking at proper chainrings and not singles? Almost all halfway decent rings have pins and ramps.

rattinox":1wbx2u2k said:
Are the pins/ramps critical in a new chainring? (I very rarely shift chainrings from the middle)
If you want decent shifting under any sort of power, yes, they are. You can ease off and soft pedal a bit and you'll get good shifting, but i can go small=>big under significant load on both my current XT and 68000 Ultegra chainsets. With their full selection of pins and ramps. Apparently Di2 is even better, which is mind bending!

Latest posts

Back