Refurb 1995 Kona Lava Dome

megatron-uk

Retro Newbie
Hey folks,

I've got a 2007 Kona Dawg Deluxe that I love, but still own my first ever 'proper' bike, a 1995 Lava Dome.

I bought it new and I remember it costing a fortune (£500 or so) for a 16 year old kid at the time :D

It's survived the years pretty well, but most of the original components are tired and worn out now - one of the main things I'd like to do is get a complete replacement for the wheels, gear and crank set. I upgraded to 7 speed LX (the blue coloured version from 1999/2000 or so) bits (rear mech, rapidfires, v-brakes and levers - though the original gripshift 400 and kona race light brakes are kicking around somewhere!), but still have the original wheels, STX cassette, front mech and crank. I also put an abomination of a suspension fork on about 12 years ago - an RST 461DH and the obligatory club roost riser bar :facepalm:

Of course getting any sort of 7 speed kit these days looks fairly difficult. Are there any details anywhere of when the last 7 speed compatible XT groupset was made or what model it was? I'd like to overhaul the bike and pimp it out - probably even treat it to a proper 'period' fork like Bomber Z2. It'd make a better 'sunday' ride than the burly Dawg.

Firstly any 8 or 9 speed mech will work with the 7 speed shifters. Cassettes are readily available in 7 speed. Likewise the chain rings are still available. Later wheels (8/9/10 speed) will take a 7 speed cassette with a 3mm spacer.

The last XT 7 speed setup was M735.

Re:

Sounds like a worthwhile project. Will look forward to some photos.

I've got a 95 Lava Dome and it rides so well, if you get it up and running you won't regret it. Built mine from a frame rather than being the original owner though! Used a mainly LX group, (link to my build pics in my signature).

The STX chainrings are a funny size so if they're worn it's hard to find a Shimano one to replace them but you can get aftermarket ones that fit. The cranks are light and polish up a treat.

Back