When were MTB SPDs first available?

Cab

Retro Guru
Sorry I haven't been around on here for a while so may have missed this important info. Just picked up a Haro Impulse, think it's a '90 model (Black, with Exage 400LX). I'm used to SPDs on my other bikes & the originals on this bike are rough; so are SPD age appropriate or should I go for some DX type flats?

Hi,

A very useful website for this sort of question: http://mombat.org/Shimano.htm

SPDs were introduced in 1990, the PD-M737. Use whatever pedal you feel comfortable with, as retro SPDs are getting hard to find and are often knackered!

Looks like you got your answer, I would have guessed 1989 but can't argue with the evidence. BTW I still use PD-m737s largely because I don't like float so I have to use old pedals.

When did H2o's appear :? I think ive the body of a set of them :? no axles just the bodies/rubbers

I still have a pair of H20s in the box, I bought them after my first SPDs so must have been early 90s, I think they were on special so might have been old stock.
Only problem with them were that the elastomers just weren't strong enough to keep me clipped in.

SPDs are great on any age of bike, I use them on a 1974 build, 1986 and onward. Cant get on with flatties anymore.

andyz":2pp3pb4k said:
SPDs were introduced in 1990, the PD-M737. Use whatever pedal you feel comfortable with, as retro SPDs are getting hard to find and are often knackered!
I picked up a mint boxed pair of PD-M737s recently for an absolute steal, they're still out there ! Too scared to use them now :oops:

Thanks for the info, that Mombat site particularly interesting. What I was thinking, I'd rather go with SPDs if I'm going to actually ride the thing. Got a few other issues to address before I get to that point! When it's in working order I can post up pics & see if someone can link to original specs etc (looks like apart from the pedals, seat & grips it could be all original).

Just to say ..
That mean 'model year 1991'.
Catalogues are in the archive.
It's HO's not H2O for the Onza's
H2O was a bottle cage or water, take your pick.

(Models come out the end of the previous year)

Latest posts

Back