Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:10 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:05 pm 
Retro Guru

scant wrote:
Boulder Ti mentioned below.. I'd love to see a pic of that :D

I got a shot of the Boulder up, plus a Primal cantilever brake lever ($10 a set off ebay!) and a TWP lever for magura rim brakes.

http://lqqk.fotopic.net/c725954.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:12 pm 
Old School Grand Master

mmmm, nice boulder :D stick some more pics in the readers rides. exceptionally rare :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:07 am 
I found this site by backtracking from a referral to my own site. It came from the "links" thread on this site. Once I was here, I thought I would register and introduce myself.

You can't get any more retro than my experience. I started riding off-road on "town bikes," old one-speeds that my roommate and I used for errands instead of our fancy road bikes. This was about 1974, and my roommate was Gary Fisher, who was not then well known outside of San Anselmo, California.

After a while we added derailleurs and front brakes to our old bikes, and then started racing at the hill we called "Repack." Unfortunately, I broke every one of my antique frames through racing and overuse, so I had to start riding custom frames. I owned one of the most collectible bikes on the planet, the second of Joe Breeze's ten original mountain bikes, built in 1978. It's now in the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame.

I'm not retro any more. I have a FS Specialized mountain bike and a LeMond carbon fibre road bike. Gary Fisher let me use the LeMond out of his bike collection after I broke my "retro" 34-year old Colnago (with Campy Nouvo Record) frame this year. I use my "retro" Ritchey P-21 for my "town bike" now.

But if you want to see a lot of photos of retro stuff, go to my site:
http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:20 am 
Old School Grand Master

Wow!

Totally impressed!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:45 am 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Welcome to everybody.

RepackRider wrote:
But if you want to see a lot of photos of retro stuff, go to my site:
http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

Great site and a very interesting story. Guess it doesn't get any more 'retro' than that :D

Last edited by rutteger on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:49 am 
Retro Guru

i started riding bmx in the early 80's, when my bikes included kuwahara, mongoose and pk ripper.

got interested in mtb about 1990 and started out with a couple of entry level kona's.

built my first bike in 1992, using an alu frame imported from the states. it was a cool bright yellow colour with paint splash effect.

after a series of knee op's i decided to quit bikes for a while.

a couple of months ago, aged 33, i decided i needed to get back on for fitness reasons.

brought an old kirk frame in a moment of madness, discovered this site, got the bug again and the rest is history.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:57 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Hey folks,

Thought I'd introduce myself after lurking for a bit...

I've been riding/racing since the mid 80's, started with road cycling and then moved into mountain bikes. Raced for Slingshot for a couple years, did an apprenticeship with Grove Innovations for a couple more and now am getting old and slow but still appreciate the toys from my youth.

I've been a framebuilder for over ten years now and have ridden mostly my own work, but have recently began collecting up some rides that have had some emotional/artistic/desire ridden pull at my heart.

Bikes have included...

89 Grove Innovations Hardcore with XT and Ritchey parts
94 Grove Innovations 2-B-1 tandem with KOOKA, Phil, Onza, and XT
95 Fat Chance Yo Eddy, newly aquired and ready to build...can't wait
Slingshots (couple of these)...sold them off to pay for kids school
and a few of my own work

I've enjoyed reading the previous postings...hope to contribute soon.

cheers,

rody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:35 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Fine selection of bikes Rody, look forward to seeing them up on the site. What name are you building under?

Did you just score the Yo off ebay.com ?

Post subject: Thanks guys...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:44 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

I built under rwracing for about 8 years until we suffered a fire and lost everything...over $70,000 in equipment and supplies. The last two years I've been slowly putting out a few frames for local riders under our new name...

Groovy Cycleworks

Each frame is handcrafted by me, paint done in house, and delivered and ridden with a smile :D

I have also been building a few ridgid forks for old school frames, have a crankset in the works, and been building a few choppers with two mates I share the shop with.

I've promised my family that I'll limit myself to 10 a year, a fraction of what I used to craft, to keep time for the kids and family activities.

If you can give me a few instructions on how to post pics, I'll get some photos up in the coming months.

cheers,

rody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:30 am 
Old School Grand Master

wooah, nice story :D
be good to see pics of the groves if you have any? exceptionally rare now :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next