Bike shops in New york

Drapoon

Kona Fan
Anybody know of a good bike shop in central New york? My folks are off for a holiday in a couple of weeks & I fancy a new crank!

If it was secondhand & dirty without a box would it pass through customs ok? :?

cheers

Martin

Drop Alex (wickedwheels) a PM that's what he does, i.e own a bike shop in NY.

Also R&A cycles in brooklyn, Albert who works there is a top man..

I don't own a shop in NY, I rep in NJ. Actually, I'm not a good source for NYC shop info, but if you'd like to cross the river... what kind of a shop are you looking for?

If you want a super-high end road shop with Orbea, Pinarello, Colnago as the primary brands that's Strictly Bikes in Ft. Lee.

If you're looking for the kind of shop that has NOS GT Karakoram from 1996 (with or without a Q21R) there's Original Bikes in Saddle Brook.

Hi, thanks for the information. Well I'm looking for a nos xtr crank but could be persuaded by a new one at the right price. That GT sounds mighty interesting although I doubt my dad would be happy about sticking it in his suitcase :cry:

Hmm how much?!

cheers

Martin

Not that this helps much but I didn't find any decent bike shops in NYC when I was there in July. And I tried reasonably hard too

I don't know off the top of my head, but I think the GT's were somewhere in the $500 range. He's got two, both about 16", one with a rigid fork and one with a Quadra 21R.

Another cool one that's hanging out is a 1997 GT/Dyno Moto 7. It's their cruiser frame with mtb geometry, horizontal dropouts and a 7spd internal hub with a drum brake. I used to sell these bike back then and they were very well made, but unfortunatly did not have canti studs (drum brake only).

If you're really interested I'll find out about the info/specs/price on all of these.

I live in NYC and sadly not much in the way of interesting shops, at least not from a vintage perspective. NYC Velo has a Bontrager and a Yo Eddy on display, but that it is about it.

New York City is a challenging environment for cyclists. There are two basic types, messengers/transportation cyclists, and posers.

The hard core first group rides tough bikes and fixies and many if not most of their bikes are modified for the environment. These people tend to work on their own bikes rather than take them to a shop.

The posers ride their Masis and Colnagos around Central Park. Mountain bikers do not exist, at least as we know them, in NYC.

Because commercial rents are so expensive in NYC, bike shops can't afford the room it takes to look like the average California shop. I was shocked when I first visited bike stores in Manhattan and saw how little space they had for displays.

You would do better to hit a big shop in the surrounding area than one in Manhattan.

Back