Bike shops in New york

You know what's a good idea... calling people that ride their bikes on weekends posers. That's a great way to build a cycling community. Genius!

What posers they must be for finding SOME place to ride in a congested city! What a$$holes they must be for being able to buy and appreciate nice bikes!!! You know what... all the NYC shops might as well just shut down because selling these posers nice bikes is a disgrace to the bike manufacturers. Let's all get really big rocks and throw them at people that ride nice bikes around central park. F*ck it, let's throw rocks at all the people that ride nice bikes instead of old crap.

Easy easy! Share the love. BTW, the mountain bike scene is actually pretty good here - see nycmtb and climb for starters, let alone crankfire and the westchester wmba! Thanks to local efforts there are legal trails in Manhattan and Queens plus miles and miles of great trails a short train ride from the city - typically the length of the time you's spend in your car from most places. Better still there is a lot of support from the city and surrounding states meaning the trail networks continually grow and legally too!

Repack Rider":ibjrzv2f said:
wickedwheels":ibjrzv2f said:
F*ck it, let's throw rocks at all the people that ride nice bikes instead of old crap.

Sounds good to me.

The kids that hang out near Harlem hill are way ahead of you CK! Rocks or the occassional ghost ridden bmx bike :(

haha...cool thread.

It's been years since I've taken my bike(s) to a bike shop. I've wanted to support the LBS, but just have found them all to not care much about what I push in.

bitd, I use to frequent the REI bike shop in New Rochelle, along with Gundalachs (don't remember if I'm spelling that right), a family owned bike shop, also in new rochelle- just 10 minutes outside manhattan, up I-95.

Now, well a couple years ago, a Metro bikes store (chain), opened in New Rochelle; I rode in there the other day on one of my Fats sans decals, undercover, and one of the guys recognized it by it's chain stays and geometry...so the retrobikers are still out there, undercover in the NYC local bike shops.

As bushpig stated above, there are people working on getting legal trail access, and the trails right in the 5 boros are improving greatly. Just the other day I went to a trail at Orchard Beach, that was always a joke, but now it actually resembles a real trail, easy but fun if you're on a 25 year old rigid piece of steel :cool:

Back