1st gen XT V-brake lever: Can they deal with cantis??

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Hello dear people,

I am wondering whether 1st gen XT V-brake lever can work together with cantis.

If so, it maybe will be enabled by changing a setting. Which setting?

Can somebody please tell me?

Thank you

Nobody?! :shock:

These levers =>

941590057_e3a0788dbc.jpg

Elev12k, V brake leavers pull more cable and use a different pivot position relative to the body and lever to achieve this so if you use them with canti brakes they just feel all wrong even with your brakes set wide off the rim. If you want to run a V and a canti brake you need a Shimano Nexave leaver # BL-T400 which has settings for V and canti also the lever blade is a 3 finger type which I like ;)

They will pull the brakes to the rim, if that is how you define braking....

But they will not work well with most cantis.

I got mine to work fairly OK with Record OR cantilevers, which are as long as V-s. But anything with a short low profile canti will be bobbins.

I'm sure you can use these with cantis?

They look the same as a pair I've got, so they should have a roller type cable holder at the end of the lever - similar to earlier XT so that the cable pulls the brakes onto the rim quickly then the leverage increases as you pull harder? - but with these came some little plastic inserts so you could position the cable near or further away from the leverage/pivot point. Canti brakes work better with the cable closer to the pivot, so just set them up with the cable nearer to the pivot by using the plastic inserts so you should get a shorter cable pull but more leverage?

:?:

:)

They do have inserts for adjustment. But the combination will still be bobbins, even at the "most compatible" setting.

Okay, thank you all :!: :D My levers do indeed have those plastic inserts. I think smartest thing to do is 1st removing them after I installed the cantis. Is the result not satisfactory, than I change levers.

Latest posts

Back