Retro MTB hierarchy

dirtydog":coqft36n said:
It does make me laugh when I see some 'Retro' bikes for sale, and the price they ask because it's 25 years old! Back in the day it was crap, nothing has changed, it's still crap imo! I'm not going to give examples here, as I don't want anybody crying! But here's my car comparison.

When I was a kid, you would have to have paid me to have been seen in an Austin Allegro! In fact, it would have probably broken down before we arrived at the given destination! You couldn't give these cars away! They were so bad, and the different shades of faeces colours they came in....oh my days! I saw one for sale the other day for £3k, that must have been a typo adding three extra zero's!

Somebody rightly said, "if you weren't riding these bikes back then, it really won't make much sense!" Would I pay £2k for a Klein? Hell no! They vile back then, and in my 50 year old eyes, vile now! In fact back then, I think it was only the gay community that hankered after them? :roll:

Well... seems i got lucky: my vintage bikes rode great then and are still a lot of fun now. Actually two of them i have since new. They seem to ride even better these days. :xmas-wink:

EDIT: Otoh i always knew i should stay away from ultra stiff short wheelbase bikes. My focus has always been steel, compliant stays, geometry dialed for fun (i know.. subjective) instead of all out speed.
Vintage bikes especially MTBs are less capable on big and steep stuff. Otoh they are great all around bikes something gravel bikes do now: all around riding.
And i like thumbshifters.

dirtydog":1l1n3679 said:
When I was a kid, you would had to have paid me to have been seen in an Austin Allegro! In fact, it would have probably broken down before we arrived at the given destination! You couldn't give these cars away! They were so bad, and the different shades of faeces colours they came in....oh my days! I saw one for sale the other day for £3k, that must have been a typo adding three extra zero's!

I remember in the 90's a documentary about company cars - mainly reps. One lad's car was changed for a Maestro. Him & his wife were in genuine tears at the shame!

Mid 90's Kona Lava Dome and above take some beating ride wise and are a sensible budget , they even work amazingly well if you stick some modern components on them and attack the rear triangle with a brazing torch to give you proper brakes and a bit of bounce up front .

I remember in the 90's a documentary about company cars - mainly reps. One lad's car was changed for a Maestro. Him & his wife were in genuine tears at the shame!
And that right there is a true story! :mrgreen:

An old girlfriend of mine had a talking, digital Vander Plas! And another ex of mine had a Montego Turbo, that was quick! :LOL:

Re:

As far as the OP is concerned, I'd say the MTB market has a structure much like many others:

1) Elite and boutique
2) Mass produced: high end
3) Mass produced: middle range
4) Mass produced: low end
5) Substandard false economy: BSOs

For an experienced rider of vintage road bikes, I would imagine that the high end of the mass produced MTBs would be a good place to start - a higher end GT, Marin, Specialized, Saracen or whatever. A good price-to-quality balance and a good opportunity for the OP to work out personal preferences and what to look for in a vintage MTB. In the grand scheme of things, quality-wise, those bikes are probably in the top few percent of all bikes sold. If that goes well, then it might be worth considering the likes of a Klein or Fat Chance.

As for the Austin Allegro . . . :facepalm: Wasn't it just a curvy Austin 1100?

dirtydog":2el9lq9f said:
:LOL: Doesn't the Klein fall in the same category as the Austin Allegro?
dirtydog":2el9lq9f said:
......Somebody rightly said, "if you weren't riding these bikes back then, it really won't make much sense!" Would I pay £2k for a Klein? Hell no! They were vile back then, and in my 50 year old eyes, vile now! In fact back then, I think it was only the gay community that hankered after them? :roll:
Ouch, the Klein Bikes Owner's Group may beg to differ.

However, speaking as an openly Gay man, I can say with some expertise that back then you would’ve needed to have pranced well and truly out of the closet and slammed the door firmly behind you if you wanted to express your sexuality by owning a Klein, in a “Cooee boys, check out my ride” type stylee ;) .

Anyway, back to the main event – I think that timseren may have the answer to the original question by now.

Pip

dirtydog":2vi55ecl said:
In fact back then, I think it was only the gay community that hankered after them? :roll:

tenor.gif

dirtydog":2v9k6azv said:
:LOL: Doesn't the Klein fall in the same category as the Austin Allegro?

Please, that type of jokes should be reported and baned for ever and ever ... Don´t mix a carrefour bicycle with a Klein, You would not compared a Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer with a Allegro (same year).

PD: :LOL: You can comprare what you whant, that is evident. Europe is a free continent. :LOL:

Re:

Thanks everybody. Had some good laughs and read some keen insights in your posts. Decided to go with a GT. Later - we'll see where this will take :) Cheers everybody :!:

Back