Anyone use a sprocket wear checker?

Re:

I've got the Rohloff Sprocket Wear Indicator tool, which is really good. I've never been able to establish a worn cassette very well just by looking at the teeth, so this tool is a real boon.

I guess you may be able to use a "cut down chain whip" and get some sort of result, but I would just buy the correct tool for the job.

Pip

Generally with experience you can tell my eye looking at the tooth profile, you could also wrap a sectoion of quality new chain around the sprocket and see how much lift you can get with a pick by lifting the center of the section away from the teeth - you shouldn't be able to lift it much.

Select which gear is suspect, apply the brake, & apply force to the crank whilst watching for the chain riding up the teeth on the sprocket. If it rides up it's replacement time.

Interesting. I also struggle to see the wear. I know bigger cogs are less prone to wear but why wouldn't it work on cogs over 21T?

Didn't even know such a tool was made.

I normally try to remember how many chains the sprocket has done, and if in doubt just visually compare the (old) with a new.

iscervo":6d5dmxz4 said:
Select which gear is suspect, apply the brake, & apply force to the crank whilst watching for the chain riding up the teeth on the sprocket. If it rides up it's replacement time.

Just saw a demo of that on youtube - great tip!

Latest posts

Back