Anyone else get funny looks?

Re:

I get glances . . . and then I overtake and leave them in the dust. :mrgreen: :LOL:

I expect their faces are a picture of WTF! Just like mine was when I was struggling up a hill a couple of months ago and a guy overtook effortlessly on his Penny Farthing. :facepalm: :LOL:

What is 50/50 geometry?

I've had a few riders comment favourably about my old Oranges to me directly or to their mates as I've ridden past. Coming out of the Tyne Tunnel lift the other week some teens on bikes even commented - 'Orange, cool bike' but think it was more cos of the brand rather than age.

Most don't notice & I find it hard myself to clock what other bikes are on the move.

More casual riders pay attention to my lasses ebike & don't give mine a 2nd look!

Had admiring remarks at my nickel P7, similarly a positive remark or two about my Witcomb road bike. About the best one was about my Kona Kaboom...'wow that has no suspension...f*ck me it hasn't even got any gears!'

Re:

I remember turning up at a race in the early 90s on a Dynatech with a Flexstem and LX and got looks from the guys on their XT/XTR equipped ti or ally frames with Mag 21s,nothing has changed I suppose.

Re:

Was out on the retro drop bar Marin today, got a few strange looks from folk, mainly Deliveroo/Just Eat riders, probably wondering what the hell kind of mtb has road bike bars?!! :LOL:

Re:

I was out on my rts which had spin wheels and carbon noleen forks once (sadly no longer have that particular rts, but have a team so happy). Got stopped by some kids on carbon rides who thought I was on a brand new, modern bike and were surprised to learn it was 25+ years old. Due to its spanking condition and despite it wearing m952 xtr, v brakes etc, they thought it was a new GT. This was before the advent or popularity of bigger wheels and just goes to show if it looks shiny and new, those with little knowledge assume it is.

HardLandRider":1m812zw0 said:
Hey everyone.

I was wondering if anyone else gets those funny looks from other mountain bikers whilst riding their retro bikes. :?

I ride my Hardland just about everyday and I may be the only person on my local trails that still rides a 26" wheel, has v-brakes, and prefers the old 50/50 geometry versus the bikes that are out now. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be on a brand new YETI or Salsa but it's not in the cards for me right now so my retro bike is my main ride (and I love it).

I get some pretty weird looks when I'm out there and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

No idea, I'm too busy having fun riding :D

Back