xt v brake problem

fotorat1

Retro Guru
I have an issue with one side of a an xt M750 brake - I just can't get enough tension it in to hold it off the rim.

the peg is in the middle hole, just like the other side, and the pad bolts spacers are the same each side, and the spring tension grub screw is all the way in, and the rim is perfectly central.

the only thing I can think of is that the spring is worn out?

anyone else had this?

p4pb16893894.jpg

Re:

Reduce the tension in the spring on the other side.

Are the spacers on the pad inserts the same on both sides?

Is the cable simply too tight to allow the tension springs to do their thing?

Is it while the cable is attatched? then its just a case of too much tension in the other arm pulling it onto rim. They need a bit of trial and error and finesse to set up.

Re: Re:

ishaw":2pjwxevv said:
Reduce the tension in the spring on the other side?

Or increase the tension on the weak side, either or both together should work even in an extreme case and you still have the tension screw

Retro Spud":1uhay4bj said:
ishaw":1uhay4bj said:

Or increase the tension on the weak side, either or both together should work even in an extreme case and you still have the tension screw
That's what I meant. A balance between both sides is needed and it's not always even.

ishaw":jmemjm91 said:
Reduce the tension in the spring on the other side.

Are the spacers on the pad inserts the same on both sides?

Is the cable simply too tight to allow the tension springs to do their thing?

1 yes its backed off so very light

2yes - small cup spacers on the inside each side as per pic

3 - no the cable isn't too tight - I only noticed it as I have slack on the cable which should have been taken up by the spring

mkone":1o8onmui said:
Is it while the cable is attatched? then its just a case of too much tension in the other arm pulling it onto rim. They need a bit of trial and error and finesse to set up.

yes the cable is attached - the way I set them up is to wind the lever cable tensioner out about 5mm, then clamp the cable on the cantilever with the pads snug on the rim and then back off the lever adjuster - but I got slack in the cable and I can't tension this side, its on max grub screw tension and the other side screw is half way out.

I swapped this arm out for the front right hand side and it worked fine, so I am getting resigned to sourcing a new pair.

ishaw":1ibhx60p said:
Retro Spud":1ibhx60p said:
ishaw":1ibhx60p said:

That's what I meant. A balance between both sides is needed and it's not always even.

yes this is what I get do - I can if I fit another arm in, which is why I think the spring is knackered- I brought the brakes second hand so some dope could have set up to ruin the spring!

Re:

If you've tried everything else, I've managed to sort it before by bending the spring outwards so it adds more tension.

Matty538":3lc9pncj said:
If you've tried everything else, I've managed to sort it before by bending the spring outwards so it adds more tension.

I did try this but I was worried about breaking it - but I will give it another go as I have nowt to loose!

Thanks

Latest posts

Back