Reasonable time limit to pay for something

Re:

Agreed, good comms is vital. I always make my intentions crystal clear from the outset ( eg exactly what item im dibbing/buying - not PM sent ! ) pay fast ( pending updated pics/specs sonetimes) and expect the same when im selling, unless its been agreed otherwise. Had people pay me over 6 months by instalments for an expensive item but with no issues whatsoever.

Re:

In most instances, if someone says they want something I will hold it for them without deposit.

In your example, if I'd sent a payment request and heard nothing back I wouldn't contact you again until I had another buyer interested or it had been a least a full day. At which point I'd send you a message asking if you still wanted it, and explain that I had another buyer.

Personally, I'd factor in things like that you might be at work, but not everyone is that way inclined.

As a seller, the worst place for this type of behaviour I've found is Shpock. So many times I'd agreed a price with someone and then they just disappeared. I couldn't relist the item until they'd said they didn't want it. Meant to be legally binding etc but seemed to be no way of enforcing this. And while it may seem callous, I didn't believe the amount of people that told me that their kids had been taken ill/hospitalised and that's why they weren't in contact. In the end I just deleted the app as it was more hassle than it was worth.

But it may be that the person you were buying from was also fed up with people saying they want an item and then not bothering to get in touch again.

As a final point, I think it's worth remembering that when people are prepared to pull the rug out from under your sale, then you may well have had problems with buying from them anyway.

Re:

Looking at it the other way, given people send a pm to get pp details etc, why don’t people pay straight away? Clearly online etc and pp takes not more than a minute I guess, so really good practice would be to agree to buy and then pay.

I know there can be legit exceptions, but that should be the default

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":uca1omll said:
Clearly online etc and pp takes not more than a minute I guess, so really good practice would be to agree to buy and then pay.

I know there can be legit exceptions, but that should be the default
Depends how much you trust paypal. I don't trust them at all. So your minute, might involve finding the keycode doofer for my card, and my card, then logging in and so on. Can't do that whilst wandering from one meeting to the next.

Also, my last employer blocked paypal on work machines. So really, it's quite a pain in the arse doing it all on the mobile. When i need the paypal app open, the bank app, the doofer in my other hand, and my card.

i would give 24hrs for response once price has been agreed upon and payment method is provided, particularly with global transactions and time zone differences. but that's just me. i've even gone to the point where i've held an item for someone for weeks/months if i'm comfortable dealing with them, both with and without a deposit.

if anyone is that impatient to get their money and pass you over after agreeing to buy in minutes/hours, then they are just being an asshat and not worth my while dealing with. may not be good etiquette, but at the end of the day, it's their property and their prerogative to do what they want with it.

Back