What would you do? Retro Vs modern.....

groovyblueshed":1e44ywf6 said:
Cheshire1980":1e44ywf6 said:
Am in a similar situation to you Ed, in need of a more modern bike, have loads of bikes just not being used, some not finished, some just don't fit my 6 foot frame, and to be honest it's quite stressful trying to maintain a lot bikes. So am going to be selling a fair bit shortly, ones that are to smallmost probably...

You have almost the national collection of early and very nice Oranges. May be they should be 'bequeathed' to Orange's collection or the nation's biking heritage in someway. Btw, I'm 5ft 9 and fit an 18/19 inch frame... ;)

Don't quite know what I've done above..(with the quotes). Anyway thanks chaps. I think it's healthy to have a mixture of modern and retro.. I personally like my retro to be all retro, such as period parts etc.. equally I like modern bikes, they have there place (fun). However as for ride and comfort they clearly light years apart, in terms of performance, handling comfort and pure speed. The segment looks a great bike Ed, have been tempted. As for the cull, my orange elite frame+forks, alloy o frame in black, and prestige 92 frame..I was going to sell a couple of 89 clockworks but can't part with them..

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":1d7gb5ri said:
Same as you really Rob, local natural stuff and Gisburn trail centre.

In that case I'd say thin the collection down, keep the bike you most enjoy riding and get a more modern bike for you main ride, definitely try as many as possible first and find one that suits you. However if you decide to keep the Clockwork and get it resprayed I have a spare set of decals.

PS I've not tried the new P7 but I'd be interested in a having a go on one as it's the closest production bike I can find to my Ranger in terms of geometry.

I seem to find modern bikes of the last ten years so very very needy. I can leave an old bike for two years, go back to it, pump the tyres up and off I go. New stuff seems to need so much attention with fluids and bushes and suchlike.

But then I'm not precious about the old stuff either, theres no sitting and waiting for a NOS unicorn fart to turn up or chicken tooth part to finish that build 3 years in the making. My bikes are to be ridden and get dirty and sometimes a bit rusty. I'm embarrassed by that but not by Sunrace or DNP or other exciting brand names that keep my decades old tat running.

Embarrassed, whats that then?

Isn't that something young fashionable peeps have get when their bike is last year's model/colour/wheel size?

There's nothing for you here.

Re:

Agreed LGF, modern stuff certainly takes more looking after and more tools. My Rockshox Pike forks and Reverb dropper have 2 different bleed kits and 3 different oils between them! :facepalm:
Mountain LX thumbie turned up BTW mate. Ta, just the job. :cool:

Like I said though, modern geometry has changed so much and as I ride my modern bike the most it makes retro bikes feel very odd to the point where I can't see me ever riding them more than every so often.

It's not that ones better or worse, it's just that things have changed more in the last 5 years than the previous 25 IMO which means retro and modern don't sit alongside each other as comfortably. It's not just retro though as I sold my 2007 hard tail because that also felt odd. It had more in common with a 1993 bike compared to a 2017 geometry wise.

Re:

I think the key is to enjoy having your bikes (old and new) and get out and ride 'em, whilst still physically able. If collecting has lost its appeal, then whittle things down so that you just keep the things you just can't bear to part with.

Alas, I only have the one old bike and have never been in a position to build a collection – is this a blessing? Consequently, my one bike has evolved over the years in order to keep it running, becoming a mix of the older parts that are still fully functional (7speed shifters, brake levers, stem, forks) and modern (1x7 drivetrain, tyres, wheels, v-brakes, saddle and seat post). Old components that just don't cut it are retired but not binned. Although the bike will never be 'period correct', any modern new parts are always given careful consideration so that they don't look [too] out of place when fitted. If I was in a position to expand, the old bike would be restored to be more of a 'complete' period retro bike.

I do realise there's some Zen-like joy in fettling and tinkering but I think simplicity of maintenance is crucial to getting out and enjoying riding bikes. Some modern bikes seem costly and overly complex, requiring yet more dedicated tools. However, I wouldn't let this put me off a modern bike, probably plumping for a nicely built/crafted rigid 29er.

Although I am a fan of Orange (not exclusively), there's only one or two modern bikes I'd consider, say like the Crush, Five or Segment. Definitely not this one though...

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/stories/v ... red_orange

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":1efwhdao said:
I do realise there's some Zen-like joy in fettling and tinkering but I think simplicity of maintenance is crucial to getting out and enjoying riding bikes. Some modern bikes seem costly and overly complex, requiring yet more dedicated tools.

People have been saying that forever. E.g. cassettes instead of freewheel, the move to sealed bottom brackets etc. Both required new tools, that I'm still using now.
I've a wide range of bikes and all that is required is to keep up on cleaning/general maintenance. Full sus bike sat all winter and only needed the tyres pumped up, shocks had held pressure perfectly. Yes, suspension needs serviced occasionally but so should older stuff, it just that most people don't bother.

Back