Cost to true a wheel ...

enc

Kona Fan
what would i expect to pay to true a front wheel and replace a couple of spokes?

Re:

I'd do it for a packet of Jaffa cakes...I'd throw in a cuppa whilst you wait though :D

I'm hopeless at truing wheels but i think i was told a while back that depending on how bad the wheel is the cost should be between £10-£25 ..

It recently cost me £20 per wheel. I built them up and got them close, the lbs checked and adjusted as needed. Spokes shouldn't add too much.

Re:

i usually charge £10 plus spokes if i'm given just a wheel, more if i have to remove wheel from bike, then tyre, then tube/rim tape, then disc rotor and cassette etc then refit it all aswel, mainly because half the time putting it all back together means adjusting gears and brakes as more often that not they need doing anyway. start to finish it can be 1/2 hour or more.

that said, i've been known to fit a spoke and true up a wheel (on it's own) for "nip to the shop and get me a pack of biscuits and it'll be done in 20 mins"

ishaw":1tnazapu said:
It recently cost me £20 per wheel. I built them up and got them close, the lbs checked and adjusted as needed. Spokes shouldn't add too much.

for the record, this can be a nightmare, not meaning to question your ability but i've had situations when customers have done this and it has just made the job harder, no spoke prep, wound up all over the place, tension all over the place, up and down and nowhere near straight but "i've done most of it for you so it should be less than your wheel build charge" :facepalm: (which is £25 by the way)

These are quite good prices btw. I've been charged £20-25 in the past which is when I started building my collection of more than slightly buckled front wheels in the garage. It was nearly as cheap to get a nice secondhand wheel.

Trued them all up recently after buying my own truing stand.

jonnyboy666":1tw19p6d said:
ishaw":1tw19p6d said:

for the record, this can be a nightmare, not meaning to question your ability but i've had situations when customers have done this and it has just made the job harder, no spoke prep, wound up all over the place, tension all over the place, up and down and nowhere near straight but "i've done most of it for you so it should be less than your wheel build charge" :facepalm: (which is £25 by the way)

This.

so it could be anything from a packet of jaffas up to £25 :roll: :LOL:

thanks for the info chaps.

Re:

that said, i've been known to fit a spoke and true up a wheel (on it's own) for "nip to the shop and get me a pack of biscuits and it'll be done in 20 mins"

:LOL: I thought this was a myth! Paying for services with biscuits.

Back