Do bar ends make a difference?

Re: Re:

greencat":2c61eq47 said:
FluffyChicken":2c61eq47 said:
Difference for what?

They make no difference to your ability to go up hills - which I'm fairly certain is what they were originally intended to help with. I used them for around 25 years before finding out they didn't really make a difference after I'd got used to riding without.

It's telling that practically no mountain bike racers use them nowadays.

But as you say if people like them, then go for it.

I never thought they did, in fact for steep hills they where useless as you couldn't jump the bike around.
For lazy plodding they are great though, hence my question.

Racing is something different though and needs are quite different. Unless it is some long slow event where mums and dads are bimbling over flattish bridleways then I doubt there would any benefit to a top athlete where comfort isn't the priority.

On modern 29+ whatever bikes with 150mm travel and large swept back bars it may actually be more uncomfortable but with narrowerer straighter commuting bars then given the nicce rotation of the hand and ability to rest on other parts of your hands then try them and see.

Ls are nice for this style riding to and you can have a nice stretch or raise them a bit to you you a slower breather.

Re: Re:

greencat":1u2uz8j1 said:
It's telling that practically no mountain bike racers use them nowadays.
Doesn't tell you much about anything except that XC courses have changed massively in the last 10 years, races are generally shorter, steeper and more technical. So the bikes reflect this. No bar ends.
I do know if a few hardcore elites who still use bar ends on their training bikes. The ones they use for gravel trail hacking and long steady distance work. (Those who don't have road bikes for this sort of stuff)

If you still do the same sort of riding you did in the 80s and 90s, maybe you should still have bar ends?

Re:

They make a difference if you're charging down narrow twisty single track through the woods! Very handy for snagging on branches, foliage, and my favourite... brambles :facepalm:

They seem to suit 1990's MTB'S With flat bars and long, low stems, useful for extra hand positions on long rides, and I find they give me a more natural riding position on long climbs, similar to riding on drop handlebars.

However, riding my modern bike with riser bars & shorter stem, I don't miss them one bit. I've ridden further, and longer, on my modern bike and found that I can live without the extra hand position, and have no need for them on the climbs.

These days, I think bar ends are more suited to touring bikes, town bikes, or those retro Mtb's from the 90's.

Re:

Funnily enough, I was sat outside the pub with my roady-ised Kona yesterday contemplating the same question! It has a very low narrow riser bar on it, but I often find myself holding on to the very ends of the bars where a stumpy set of bar ends would sit.

I find I get neck ache if I go any more than 15 miles or so on it and wondered if another riding position would help. But as others have said, a high rise, erm, riser, bar would give me a more heads up riding position anyway.

And all this is actually irrelevant to the OP as I'm talking about road riding. Off road, on anything, I wouldn't contemplate bar ends as the 'snagging' problem nearly upended me several times in the 'good old days' :LOL:

Gaddmeister":19rz3am7 said:
Do bar ends make a difference or are they purely an opportunity to give you different hand positions?
I don't understand the question... the difference they make is giving more hand positions...thats the whole point to them.

They don't make climbing any better, they just give more hand positions to use while your'e climbing. Whether it's a longer out front stretch position on a long grinder or a more outboard (liek the hoods on a roadie) when out of the saddle, it's just more positions.

You don't need them, or they work less well on newer bikes that are all high stack and super wide with sweep.

I'm 6ft 3 and most of my height is in my upper body as my legs are a usual 32 insde leg. This means for me that often the bike that caters for my legs does not cater for my longer body. Whilst I personally do not like bar ends, they look fussy and a waste of time, in practice they have taken a lot of weight off my wrists when I ride. The ability to keep your hands moving around to take some of the wieght and pressure off on occasion has been entirely due to bar ends being fitted.

They are a bit like a wife, sometimes you wonder why on earth do I bother and other times they are great to have :LOL: :LOL:

They are a bit like a wife, sometimes you wonder why on earth do I bother and other times they are great to have :LOL: :LOL:[/quote]

:LOL: :LOL:

Mine just made lunch. So right now, I can see the point (s!)

Mike

Re:

Mine came off and have stayed off a couple of years ago when one of them broke a bone in my wrist on a very slow (like nearly stationary) tumble , not missed them at all .

Re:

I like them on retro bikes with narrow bars as the extra position makes riding more comfortable in certain situations.

Don't have them on my modern bikes as the higher front end and much wider bar negates the need for 'em.

Re:

I have converted one of my road bikes to flat bars and fitted it with the stubby ergo bar ends. I find they're very good for extra hand positions on longish rides of 50 miles or more.

I once did a century ride on my mtb and I was glad I had the bar ends at times throughout the ride.

For general off road stuff I never use them.

Back