Xtr m950 radial spoked?

Paul R

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all

Does anyone have any docs on the Shimano m950 hubs I need to know if they're the flanges can take the extra load of being laced radial or not?

Shimano are tough hubs, if any can take it then Shimano can.
There is no mention of lacing requirements that I know of in any Shimano document.

Shimano advise against radial spoking on any of their hubs. That said I have seen plenty that have lasted over the years.

The weight saving is trivial - about two spokes...12g. :LOL:

It's worth thinking through what the hub is being used for - if it's a rigid fork being used for light duty then personally I would use happily. On a suspension bike being ridden hard I cannot see the point.

Re:

Ive an M950 wheelset,radial at the front and semi radial rear(non drive side).Zero problems.By far Im no expert but I believe its not advised to go full radial on the rear drive side.

Re:

No problem :cool:

Attachments

• ABE71789-B54A-4B30-B759-0379D119DA46.jpeg
    ABE71789-B54A-4B30-B759-0379D119DA46.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 440
Re: Re:

66 triumph daytona":39xxw66e said:
Ive an M950 wheelset,radial at the front and semi radial rear(non drive side).Zero problems.By far Im no expert but I believe its not advised to go full radial on the rear drive side.

With the effect of dish the radial left gives severe differences in spoke tensions and wheels can easily go out of true all the time. I gave up on that setup on a road wheel.
A radial right equalises tension, but the drive effort has to go through the body of the hub to the left (tangential) spokes. This is fine for a Shimano hub, but not something for a really lightweight hub; it would tear a bonded Hope Ti hub apart in no time I expect.

Will have to see see it goes. I only ride on road but with the state of roads and hard tyres it may be just as much stick on them.

Paul R":29y9ggfw said:
Will have to see see it goes. I only ride on road but with the state of roads and hard tyres it may be just as much stick on them.

If that's the case you will be fine - I've run radial for 20 years on a road bike front with 23C tyres at 110psi.

Back