XT front mech advice, it's not pulling in far enough!?

grey-beard

Orange 🍊 Fan
My low mount XT front mech won't come far enough in to shift onto the granny ring! I know that I have used a shorter than advised bottom bracket on the P7, 110 rather than 113, but, would a high mount version, top or bottom pull, be any better? do they come in closer to the seat tube?
Anyone know?
Thanks guys...

Daft question, but have you checked that the limit screws are not preventing the mech from getting to where you want it to?

As soon as I had posted this, on my way to bed, I thought that I should have mentioned that. Not a daft question, but yes, I have backed the limit screws all the way out and disconnected the cable, so the cage is resting on the linkage? if that makes sense? It can't physically move any further. To me, it would seem that a high mount version should be able to swing closer to the seat tube, as the mechanism is out of the way. But, I don't have one to compare.

I have found exactly the same problem with low-band front mechs on my Kona. They simply cannot reach as close to the seat tube as high-band types.

Especially when there is wear in the mechanism. The low band tyres really don't seem as durable. Once a bit of wear sets in, you can't get to the granny. Bit of a bodge, if you rotate the mech clockwise on the seat tube a couple of degrees, the outer cage can nudge the chain a bit more, and make it to granny. However, you'll get chain rub a while heap more, it'll be annoying, and the shifting is pants. But you won't have to walk up the steepest hills whilst you're eBaying for a NOS mech.

NOS mech? Yes, a NOS mech. I've bought a few f/mechs over the years from some major players on here, and without exception, they have all been clapped out. Buy a new one and you'll buy it once, at likely less than the cost of two used ones.

I've had the opposite problem(shifting[not]to high ring) due to a too long axle...so it could be the issue?

Especially when there is wear in the mechanism. The low band tyres really don't seem as durable. Once a bit of wear sets in, you can't get to the granny. Bit of a bodge, if you rotate the mech clockwise on the seat tube a couple of degrees, the outer cage can nudge the chain a bit more, and make it to granny. However, you'll get chain rub a while heap more, it'll be annoying, and the shifting is pants. But you won't have to walk up the steepest hills whilst you're eBaying for a NOS mech.

NOS mech? Yes, a NOS mech. I've bought a few f/mechs over the years from some major players on here, and without exception, they have all been clapped out. Buy a new one and you'll buy it once, at likely less than the cost of two used ones.
Thanks for the advice, but, it isn't wear on the mechanism, it's more to do with that type, low mount, not being suitable with the combination of frame, bottom bracket and cranks. A longer axle would fix it, but compromise chain line. Hopefully a decent high mount will show up soon.

Back