What were the champagne gold Renthal bolts used on?

TOMAS

Senior Retro Guru
Over my few years of collecting I've accumulated quite a few of these. I recently picked up an early Pace RC35 fork which is full of them (crown, brace, clamps etc) - now I was always taught never to use alloy bolts in high stress areas (i.e a fork, stem, front canti mounts etc) and was wondering what exactly were these bolts supplied on/used on, as most of mine have come off of several Magura brakesets etc?

Im probably going to swap mine out for stainless and use them on something else, unless I keep them on a garage queen.

Any info appreciated, cheers - Tom

Re:

Factory Pace RC100s were full of them, even the stem clamp bolt was a dichromate alloy bolt. Maguras often came with them in the U.K., I’m guessing that was because the importer for magura used to be Venhill who were a great source of these bolts and many other bits. As a kid I use to go to venhill all the time, they used to do all manner of lawn mower parts and I’d buy bolts whenever my dad went there to get a new part for his mower.

35642588881_8ad79c0e81_h.jpg

35604933492_9dd4a738e9_h.jpg

Re: Re:

pete_mcc":2cckr2qd said:
Factory Pace RC100s were full of them, even the stem clamp bolt was a dichromate alloy bolt. Maguras often came with them in the U.K., I’m guessing that was because the importer for magura used to be Venhill who were a great source of these bolts and many other bits. As a kid I use to go to venhill all the time, they used to do all manner of lawn mower parts and I’d buy bolts whenever my dad went there to get a new part for his mower.

35642588881_8ad79c0e81_h.jpg

35604933492_9dd4a738e9_h.jpg

Cheers buddy, I've probably got enough now to do a bike full of them, maybe more and will probably leave them to a garage queen in my collection. I'm guessing this was a time before laws came in restricting how weak a bolt could be etc and it was all about weight weenies? I wonder if anyone has actually ever experienced one fail :s?

In later years, early 90's, PACE did bolt kits,
RC36 Stage3 Titanium for RC35's (9 piece kit) was ~£40 RRP, it would come in a plastic show box in foam padding.
they made other kits too, chainring bolts for example.

I have the sum total of one (1) of these. I am using it in a headset top cap to match my new 780 Renthal 40mm lift bars. MMM nice.

FluffyChicken":3pwaeu4n said:
In later years, early 90's, PACE did bolt kits,
RC36 Stage3 Titanium for RC35's (9 piece kit) was ~£40 RRP, it would come in a plastic show box in foam padding.
they made other kits too, chainring bolts for example.

What colour were the Ti bolts? If the same champagne colour then I wonder if any of mine are Ti or alloy - other than weight, how does one tell if bolt is Alloy or Ti as the weight difference will be very small I'd imagine?

Re:

sharp saw and drag it over the bolt.
Aluminium will now have a gash in it ;-)

It was as far as I remember a Titanium kit.

They are the colour as in the pictures above.

You'll see them on many PACE bike and PACE forks.

Erm.. Titanium just feels different to an Aluminium bolt.
more neat metal and less plastic feel...maybe someone else can describe it better.

Cheers, looks like a clear anodize over the titanium bolts, mine are deffinite greeny/yellow/champagne type colour! Cheers for all your help, been a great insight

Re:

I think they may have greened up over time, I definitely remember greener versions like in the RC100 posted above.

that was just the first pictures I could find.

Latest posts

Back