What rear hub to compliment s pace carbon front?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So I've finally got myself a carbon pace front hub. Have wanted one for a long time but kept missing out or they were out of my price range.

Time passed, I settled on some wheels (I say settled, they are lovely), but I had always wanted a pace front for the build. I can't swap the hub into the current wheels (spinergy xyclome) so would need to get a set built up. Bike is wearing xtr m970, so I could go with an m970 rear, but what other options are there to create a non-matching hubbed set of wheels?

I might leave the build as is and use the hub on a GT lightning which I had planned to go either m952 or x0 (might be naughty and use 10x1 or 2) so could use an m950 hub I guess.

I have a hope pro3 in black with the MTB spacer (but I'd have a spare front if I did that).

Middleburn? Hope ti glide? Just looking for ideas that won't break the bank and kind of work together as my OCD usually would not permit non matching hubs.

Assuming it’s the chunky carbon pace suspension front, rather than the older skinny matte one, Nuke proof did a carbon rear if you want to be “matchy matchy” but they are silly money. Did shocktech ever do a carbon rear?

What’s the rest of the colour scheme - black always looks smart - and would look matched with the pace from a distance.

Silver hope, middleburn etc. Any trick one tbh as long as its silver imho. The carbon weave on the nukeproof is not as fine as the pace and may......annoy hahaha. Sine things eh.

I'm from a time when only Shimano were making freehubs so a posh hub out front and a rear Shimano to match the rest of the groupset is perfectly acceptable. It's a personal thing but generally I like my hubs to match aside from that.

I used to run a Pace carbon hub back in the 90's on my BB Zaskar (Pace forks) along with a shiney White Industries on the rear, if i remember rightly in typically overengineered WI style it had a switch on the hub to disengage the click so it could freewheel silently.. i think it was called hyperglide.

I used to run a carbon Pace hub up front and a black M560 on the rear when I built up my ‘97 Kona AA from new. A vague black / blackish colour match was the best I could manage. Had thought Hope, but then you would typically match Hope / Hope

Pace front hubs can run different coloured end caps. I have a nice wheelset on which the front carbon hub has blue end caps and the rear hub is a blue Hope Ti Glide, go really well together :cool:

I've had many a nuke proof hub, carbon is very different and as there is a matching front I'd be going OCD crazy.

Mine has red end caps, which won't match my dbr build (purple) but lightning has red bits (well planned and also red decals) so a red rear is a possibility.

Black is probably my preference, so probably looking at hope, xtr (m970 is pretty black, though has the disc splines), m950 (though grey, but will match groupset if I go that way).

Middleburn would be nice, though rarely see them. Goldtech? Any other rim brake hubs (not into the ultra blingy and made of cheese options like ringle).

There is this Woodman hub on that auction website

item number: 353940580457

It is something a bit different and keeps the carbon body/alloy flange theme going.

Back