What brakes are these?

Got a set of these on my Voodoo, thought originally they were LX, until I saw the part number. Never realised Shimano made a silver version of the DX, presumed they were only black/red.

hi, maybe worthwhile to spend a bit of extra attention.

BR-M600 are to me a across-group brakes

used in LX group (pic from 1999)
1998 LX.jpg

used in red with -MX as some kind of suffix (pic shows DX group ~2002)
it was intended for BMX use, with 110mm hubs.
2002 DX BMX red.jpg

used in earlier STX-RC (pic from 1997)
1997 - stx rc.jpg

Slightly different, but still very similar, are the BR-MC40 from later years of STX and STX-RC groups (pic from 1999)
1998 STX RC.jpg
They have same generic shape, just the BR-MC40 has a different brake shoe holder.
While BR-M600 need pretty specific brake shoes with screw like used at U-Brakes, the BR-MC40 is using regular V-Brake brake shoes like used on the XT with parallelogram (and then got standard for any kind of V-Brakes)

Also the Brake levers had been identical for all the mentioned groups, BL-M600 or 601 (w/wo MX) and BL-MC40 are identical other than color or finish.

To me those are quite good brakes, powerful, easy to adjust and reliable, much more durable as XT or XTR ones of that generations which are prone for issues with the parallelogram.

Last edited:
Was there not a red version that was (for a time) badged as DX?
Yes, you can see it in the pictures just above your post...

After XTR/XT where successful, they added V-Brakes to the lower levels and so the STX-RC/LX V-brakes were introduced in 1997 models under the M600 series (there was no 6xx range at that time)
Also as shown in 1997 the BMXers got some new stuff, the pedals (M636), the shoes (MX70) and this brake too. Well, they only got to have one of these, just the rear.
Of course, the one thing many people didn't do was adjust the lever to get the improved braking power, people always seem to leave it on the outside L setting. (This seems especially true for the XT levers, as I always find the black widgets in).
1705327617762.png

Last edited:
Back