Westpine front wheel

Atmos

Senior Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Wow, that’s only the second one I’ve ever seen. Are they yours?

Yes. Ted Laio was the designer of the Avid Tri-Align brake and subsequently founded Westpine. I always respected his work & love these hubs…. Might not be light, might be crazy, but the guy had a vision of something different and dared to make it real.

That confirms the existence of the elusive rear then.

I like Ted’s work for the same reasons. Theoretically at least there are some benefits of the design beyond looks. My CX front weighs 182 g; when you subtract the weight saved off approx 32” of spoke vs a medium flange hub it isn’t much heavier, and builds into a very stiff, well supported wheel.

That confirms the existence of the elusive rear then.

I like Ted’s work for the same reasons. Theoretically at least there are some benefits of the design beyond looks. My CX front weighs 182 g; when you subtract the weight saved off approx 32” of spoke vs a medium flange hub it isn’t much heavier, and builds into a very stiff, well supported wheel.

Nice. It's interesting that on Westpine's own product literature they don't discuss the design benefits whatsoever - other than to state the obvious - that they are "Ultra High Flange Suspension Hubs". Irregardless, I am a fan, and look back on this cnc-gone-wild era fondly, even though there were so many shortcomings, so many broken parts, and so many misses. Cheers...

Back