Weird ebay

But you won't be when they collect, then tell ebay and PayPal that they didn't, you've already handed over the item, and the money gets taken back out of your account... Bye bye item, bye bye money... eBay is sh1te for selling

Spanky22b":2my4hsnd said:
I worded it wrong :LOL: what i meant was they just buy it normally through ebay ie they click buy it now for the price or i accept there offer etc, they pay the money when ebay says pay now i get me money, i then arrange with them to collect. Everyone's happy :LOL:

... until they tell ebay that the bike was never delivered/exchanged/whatever, ebay pays the money back to them.

or

... 'they' turn up at your door and take the bike. a few minutes later a different 'they' turns up and asks for the bike. Having no bike to give them, they tell ebay and ebay refund them.

as people said above, classic scams.

The best way of doing this is for them to buy it, you meet in a neutral public location, and they pay cash.

Both ebay and paypal warn against collection on items paid through them, as others have said, you are not covered under their seller protection for collected goods, only goods with proof of delivery and sometimes tracked too.

Ebay were meant to be changing their listing options to account for this but as of now they still haven't. You have to check the accept payment by paypal option to list your item but you are also allowed to put in the listing that you will not accept payment through paypal for collected items, if a buyer still pays through paypal and you have stated this in your listing then you are allowed to refund the payment and ebay will not black mark you.

Re:

Sold a few items recently collection only on eBay and received payment by PayPal. Buyers now get sent a QR code when doing this that the seller scans to confirm collection. First thing I did once they decided they were happy with the goods is ask to scan the QR code before iI let them take them. I guess this gets around the old issues with PayPal collection scams?

Still a lot of controversy surrounding this, good idea but lots of flaws and sellers still need to read, if they can find, the T&C's of all parties involved.

Item is only covered for original buyer, so like previously, if the original buyer claims they did not collect then are you covered? you must accept paypal as an option for payment, but paypal is not part of the current scheme, so buyer can still open and item not received case through them. and some concern about payments by card and chargebacks.

However at least they are trying to address the problems, though they will have to eventually as the move toward a cashless and fully monitored system hurtles forward.

Re:

Well not being a scammer myself, I actually prefer to pay for collection items through PayPal, simply because you're not turning up somewhere with x amount of ££'s on you and risking someone batting you and disappearing with your monies.

Also why I never collect alone, and if you arrive and it isn't as described or it's some dodgy looking sod/no item, you can claim your money back.

I've bought a fair few retro bikes and paid first via pp, and then arranged collection once the seller verifies they have recieved payment!

Ok...ive got to say i never considered the above, about being robbed whilst collecting! Always cautious of people turning up.

As for QR code thing. Ive collected loads of stuff within the last 6 months, paid several by PayPal (at sellers request....why you want to pay another 5% is beyond me), and only ONCE been asked for the code!

So seems that not working well either as security!

Yes, quite a few things to watch out for, mostly common sense really though.

Have taken people to collect a few motorbikes over the years, turning up at an address on a dodgy looking estate to meet someone you dont know with a few thousand in your pocket. We always go without money now, check the bike or whatever out, and the person of course and also that they actually live at that address, sometimes they meet you outside, if all ok then go and get money from bank and return.

Also if you list a lot of high value goods, some will buy just to get your address, and never turn up, well that day anyway. Best to put on listing that item is stored elsewhere so will have to fetch if they want to view or collect.

Re:

Alot of really good responses from everyone and all taking on board, some i'll be honest never really thought about, to trustworthy i suppose but will remember in the future.
I went down the cash route with the buyer in the end and it turned out fine, they were genuine and honest but a little bizarre with the messages which set my alarm bells ringing :LOL: and they were a massive Cannondale fan and toured all around the world on them. Both sides happy, they get a bike they've been after for ages and i got my money.
I might just go back to posting the bikes :LOL: i've never had a problem doing that,the items tracked where i can see its whereabouts how many times they've tried to deliver it etc, fully insured for the value it sold at, i take final photos with a date on them of the bike then it all packaged up so i know it left in good condition. If there's any damage after that it came from the courier and also a proof of a signature where i then know it's arrived.

Or to save any hassle whatsoever i might just keep them all and build a bigger shed, then i can buy more aswell :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for all the responses.

Back