Warning about facebook sales!

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
A good friend had his garage broken into....oddly a police person actually turned up 2 days later and had a quick look.

In conversation about his bikes that were nicked, the copper asked if he had been selling anything on Facebook, gumtree etc...

Well yes he had, several bits of nice kit.....then it dawned on him......the guy who "bought" the £18 stem, then never turned up.......

The police agreed......its happening all the time.

What brought this to mind again was a rather suspect conversation with a facebook buyer i recently had........wanted to collect, didn't seem to know where my location was, wanted my address.....So, i told him " sure...collect it from my works somebofy there on the gate day and night....i will give dave the guard the package" . I've got a few bits on there at the moment too.

Vanished....never to be heard from again.....

So just think before you hand over your address, or put it on the returns label!

Keep safe.

Yep, same thing been going on on ebay for a few years, sometimes they turn up to collect the item they brought from you though just to look around or maybe to act legit, happens a lot if you have a lot of listings of expensive items.

yes, meet in public places at YOUR convenience, i let customers use my car park to use as meeting places, unfortunately this has happened to several of my customers.

never give out more than a postcode and mobile number, never let them in your house, only sell one item at a time so there is no "view other sales" option to use to pull the wool over your eyes.

use an agreed safe meet spot like a local bike shop, ideally ask the shop if it's ok to do that, explain to the buyer why, if they don't want to meet like that it may well be dodgy

I think that's the key....if the buyer is legit, why would he worry about meeting you in a public place....especially if you explain your concerns over security....if nothing else it will help to flag you up as not such an easy mark.

Also watch return address. I use my works address as a return if i dont know the person. Just because they paid for a £10 bit off your list, doesn't mean they aint crooks on the look out!

Its sad really, but, thats the crappy world we live in

It's a difficult one to judge, often those selling stolen goods are keen to meet somewhere away from home as well. I was interested in a bike last year and the seller wanted me to ring him when i got to a street and he'd come and meet me. Felt like a recipe for getting robbed or buying something dodgy to be honest.

It's a difficult one to judge, often those selling stolen goods are keen to meet somewhere away from home as well. I was interested in a bike last year and the seller wanted me to ring him when i got to a street and he'd come and meet me. Felt like a recipe for getting robbed or buying something dodgy to be honest.

I know what you mean, always a bit nerve racking turning up somewhere unknown with a pile of cash in your pocket

That's the other side of it, but I suppose that's where a public place comes in.

Its tricky, as I've met some fantastic true enthusiasts too. But you just can't tell!

Back