Wanted a nice 27.5/650b or 29er steel frame

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Not in the least bit retro but just wondered if anyone has a nice 27.5/650b or 29er steel frame they'd like to sell?

I'm thinking something like a Surly Karate Monkey, Ritchey Ultra, Stanton Sherpa or Cotic Solaris. There doesn't seem to be much about at the moment. :xmas-big-grin:

I should say I'm just over 6ft so I'm looking for a size L.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim you are absolutely right - a real shortage. Plenty of COTICS, Stantons and Ragleys around in March - all gone and bought now. There are a few Ragley Blue Pigs on ebay - lovely geometry - bit porky but same weight as COTIC Bfes. Stanton had a stunning sale of Gen1 frames in May - all gone. I had to order a new Ti from them...sigh.....first world problem....

2manyoranges":2p8b56jp said:
Jim you are absolutely right - a real shortage. Plenty of COTICS, Stantons and Ragleys around in March - all gone and bought now. There are a few Ragley Blue Pigs on ebay - lovely geometry - bit porky but same weight as COTIC Bfes. Stanton had a stunning sale of Gen1 frames in May - all gone. I had to order a new Ti from them...sigh.....first world problem....

Yeah I think I'll have to be patient, I missed out by £5 on a Ritchey P-650b which went for £280 a week or so ago. There's a previous generation Karate Monkey on Ebay currently but I think it's a bit pricey at £550.

All Ti options are over my budget unfortunately... :(

Re:

I’d strongly recommend going for a 65 to 64 degree head angle and steep seat angle. Ragley’s from 2016 led the way on this (mmmBOP and Bluepig) and COTIC and Stanton followed. 160 suspension overforked to 170 works brilliantly. This really gets you into the right performance territory. The Cotic souls can be good (I have a couple of 26er Souls which I love, but are not as dynamic and capable as the Ragleys in our stable. You can emulate the steep seat angle of Transition (which are wonderful frames but big dollar here) by sizing up in 2016-18 Ragleys, and using a saddle forward on the rails in an in-line post - and still use a 35mm stem. The chainstays are so short anyway that you don’t lose climbing traction. I am 5-7 but use a Large 2016 mmmBop. I am on medium 26er COTICS even though Cy’s older size charts say that I should be on a small. The small needs a 60mm stem and that loses all the benefit of the new geometry. This all takes a different mindset for sizing - reach is critical, then try to get the right reach in a cockpit with a steep effective seat angle and a 35mm stem. And that often means sizing up on pre-2020 frames. Transition blew away the rule book in 2018 with the Sentinel SBG geometry and although the other companies do not acknowledge it, they have all crept in to follow Transition and adopted steeper seat angles and 64 head tube angles, and longer reach. And taken a couple of years to do it.

Back