Very pink 1985 Orbit Gold Medal

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
An impulse purchase, I think mainly due to the sheer pinkness of it (plus it was £50, so worth a punt). Below is exactly how it was as bought. As that bloke off the telly says, it looks good from far, but is in fact far from good. For starters it's absolutely filthy, but then that adds to the fun, right? I thought I might get away with an oily rag job on the paintwork, but it fact it's so patchy it's going to have to be a lazy light respray.

IMG_3872.jpg

As to who made it I have a few clues, but it's still a mystery after a bit of internet research. The initial thought was Holdsworth, but the frame number 851115 doesn't fit with that at all. There are a few possible clues...

1) 'Allez' dropouts – Holdsworth mainly used these, but others in the 80s did too. Narrows it down a bit, though

2) Heart cut outs on lugs. Obviously a few makers used these, but it could also narrow it down.

IMG_3892.JPG

3) Also a heart-shaped shifter stop. Once again, used by a few makers (Falcon, for starters)

IMG_3876.jpg

4) Finally, maybe the most distinctive thing – the top ends of the seat stays have an edge on them, rather than being flush with the tubing

IMG_3893.JPG

So, answers on a postcard. I'm pretty sure it's not a respray, there's no sign of that. This is definitely not a stock build seeing as it has a cable guide on the bottom of the chain stay, but the owner/builder has instead used a band-on guide on the top of the stay (which looks original, not added later). The components are also not what I'd expect if it was catalogue spec – Pelissier 2000 Professional hubs on unbranded rims, for starters.

Anyway, after getting all the filth off and some disassembly, it's off to get some neon pink paint...fingers crossed for some sunny days.

Last edited:
My guess is an Orbit, but a very early one with over the bracket cable guides. Not sure how that fits in with the frame number though.🤔

My guess is an Orbit, but a very early one with over the bracket cable guides. Not sure how that fits in with the frame number though.🤔

Thanks all – I think Orbit is an excellent guess @peetee – everything about that makes sense. Firstly, I'm in Sheffield, and I bought this nearby (I think they were still in Sheffield at this point?). Secondly they definitely used the oversized seatstay caps – they are normally stamped with the Orbit name, but not always (see below). Thirdly, although it's generally a nice frame the brazing on the rear brake bridge is not exactly tidy, and I believe they did have a reputation for a certain lack of quality control (in the 80s/90s, at least).

It looks very similar to this Orbit Gold Medal, which doesn't have the name stamped, and is from 1985. If the frame number 851115 means 1985, that would make sense. It does actually have a hole for a cable guide under the BB, by the way. Obviously this also doesn't have canti brakes, but presumably you could request these.

Mystery solved...I think?

orbit_1_377f3cdac0cd29f0db150f079018ccd4b65cbd2b.jpg

What's up with the different font for the seat and downtube decals? 🤔

Last edited:
The strip down is nearly done. Neon pink spray paint and new bar tape is on the way. Although I'm 99% sure this is an Orbit, I'm not going to get any decals for this one as I rather like the minimal neon look anyway. I'm not sure if this is a keeper seeing as I'm over my allotted bicycle quota, but we'll see. 🤔

The only Orbit tourers I'm aware of are the Gold Medal and Frontier. The Frontier was confusingly also the name of a MTB model at some point, but anyway both were later than 1985, so I'll presume this is a Gold Medal for now.

I do wonder why the owner either specified the clip-on cable guides when it was built, or added them at a later date, seeing as the frame is built for the usual under-BB routing. I can't think of a practical reason for that on a tourer off the top of my head. Anyway, I think I'll lose the clip-on guides as even if they clean up okay under the rust, it'll look cleaner without them.

IMG_3904.jpg

What size is it c-t? It's very pink :)

The top tube is 55cm c-t-c. Top of the seat tube to middle of the BB is 58cm.

Ideally I would be keeping this, but realistically it's probably going to end up in the for sale section here at some point in the not too distant future, so if you're interested, let me know...

And yes, it really is very pink :cool:

Last edited:
Back