Upgrading a vintage Marin Muirwoods. Worth it?

Connguy1956

Retro Newbie
I posted on here awhile ago (my first thread) sharing pics of this 1990 Muirwoods that I bought recently. I’m enjoying it, and there really are no issues to complain about.

But I‘d like to upgrade it to make it higher quality. Is that a fool’s route? Would I just be throwing money away? I know this was a base model at the time of production, but being a Marin, it is still a great platform.

Any suggestions on where to start to experience a noticeable difference? Or should I leave it as is and sick $$ away for a higher level Marin...or another brand with Chromoly steel frame?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1DD0F423-7AB6-49FF-87B9-9CB0B7DB1193.jpeg
    1DD0F423-7AB6-49FF-87B9-9CB0B7DB1193.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 24
As always it depends. It is a beautiful bike. But it will not be a collector’s piece, whatever parts you put on it.
So if you like to ride it, go ahead. It will ride nicely.
If you want to create a valuable bike, look for for a more upscale frame and start from there. (like an Eldridge grade)

I would keep it just for the paint job

best regards
Ulrich

Up to a point, it's worth upgrading. As above, it will not be a collector's piece, but there are pros as well as cons to models lower down the pecking order. Typically, the entry level bikes offer a more relaxed, less racy, riding position and that's a nice quality sometimes, especially if you want a more chilled out ride. A longer, lower, racier and pricier frame might look good but if you find it uncomfortable, you just won't ride it much. On the other hand, lower models are almost always heavier, with heavier components, and losing some weight from the bike can make for a more responsive, enjoyable ride.

Replacing lower end components with LX equivalents can make a worthwhile difference without breaking the bank. An LX chain set might save you 300g, for example. I would look at the weight of the tyres, too; they're one of the easiest changes and can make one of the biggest differences. Check the weight of the saddle too and compare with, say, a Charge Spoon. The stem and handlebars are also a good target for weight saving but it would be a shame to swap out the originals on that bike. In other words, there are a number of reasonably priced weight savings that would be worthwhile if you're happy with the bike in other respects.

II you are going to ride it and happy spending your money yes , or if you just want an investment to look at no.
All the bikes I have I like to ride and I'm up to 29 now And ride them all bar one which is a 1990 Trek 8000 which is as new and I just cannot bring myself to ride it as if I came off and damaged it I would feel ill all the rest I love riding
I have an assortment of bikes pos to aliright bikes
GT LTs's / Hardtail GTs / Marins / Dawes Kirk / Orange Clockwork / Rocklobster NTI / 2 7Ups / Maxam Hot Chilli Extreme / Raleigh Dynatech and lots more.
I know there is a lot of bike snobbery on here but you would be surprised how well or how dreadful some of these bike perform .
I just like saving bikes from disappearing for ever.

I'm in a very similar position, I bought a 91 flouro green (some say it's yellow but to my eyes it's definitely green!) muirwoods in a bit of a sorry state and partly by necessity, but also partly because I had the parts laying around, I decided to upgrade the entire group set to period correct exage 400 LX. It's not exactly a massive step up from the 100 GS that it has currently fitted, basically going from bottom to mid range, but because I love the look of the bike and know that I will ride it, plus the fact that some of the components it already has are perhaps beyond saving, it makes sense to me to give it this modest upgrade.

Honestly though I wouldn't dream of putting top end LX, DX or XT parts on it, for me it's a fun little bike that will get some light use and so should benefit from the slightly better parts, but if I was to use components from the upper tiers I would be looking for a much better frame, just as others have already mentioned.

marin 2.PNG

I agree with all. But in my case I like to do trips of 40-50km and with that group set The bicycle will not feel good. So I would upgrade to feel like new and ride and enjoy But I would do it because I like how the frame rides, how it looks etc and I whant to keep it, no to sell.

If you put money to get value and sell … wrong way. Buy a Pine Mountain, team Marin or Team Issue, they have quite good components and feel quite good and fast.
As you can see, my point of view is the point of view of a rider- racer not a collector.

Back