Unusual 91 GT Zaskar

Spanky22b

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I say unusual because i've not seen a serial number like that before with what looks like initials, could it be a ex team bike 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230924_002123_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_002123_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20230924_002138_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_002138_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20230924_002156_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_002156_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 89

Isn't that a bit steep for a zaskar?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isn't that a bit steep for a zaskar?

Even steeper for a 92 pantera in a Zaskar frock

I’d want to see that up close before making judgement any direction for sure as you can tell the difference when you’ve handled enough but the rules all point towards pantera.

I’m on my phone but it would need a 6061 stamp to contradict that. Which was likely a 7005 one that’s been removed as they all are.

Yes could be a team bike but they usually had a different layout too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Even steeper for a 92 pantera in a Zaskar frock

I’d want to see that up close before making judgement any direction for sure as you can tell the difference when you’ve handled enough but the rules all point towards pantera.

I’m on my phone but it would need a 6061 stamp to contradict that. Which was likely a 7005 one that’s been removed as they all are.

Yes could be a team bike but they usually had a different layout too.
Were some of the 1991 ones stamped 6061? All the ones I have seen didn't have the 6061 stamp, so I had wondered whether that was introduced a little later, but it could have just been inconsistency early on.

Having said that, the different serial format doesn't seem to suggest Zaskar unless there were some differently stamped.

I’ve seen both stamped 6061 and not stamped on 91.

What I mean is that with a serial number like that , the only thing that would be definitively prove it’s a Zaskar would be a stamp. Which I can’t see. All the decals mean nothing really.

I’ve had a few of these 92 panteras and you can tell it isn’t a Zaskar if comparing the two.

I’ve bought so many bikes badged as a Zaskar. Avalanches , panteras , backwoods etc and every seller is always positive it’s legit but a simple decal kit 20 years ago doesn’t change what it is.

It could be something else , like a promo bike or something but I guess we wouldn’t know for sure now. I doubt it’ll be selling at £300 anyway when full bikes sell for that in nicer condition and anyone in the market is always gonna question that serial.

I’ve seen both stamped 6061 and not stamped on 91.

Good information, thank you. I know you've had your hands on a lot more than most people!

There are a few oddities, especially in 1991, but sharing all of these is not necessarily popular.

Of course, you could ask the seller to test with some NaOH to determine which alloy it is 😅

The daft thing is that GT didn’t exactly follow their own rules so there’s loads of anomalies out there. However once you go outside the norm it becomes a hard sell. Especially when there’s cheaper out there too with no questions about it’s authenticity.

I’ve likely had around 60-80 Zaskars now and every one has had a traditional Zaskar serial.

Drive side dropout looks different to the norm I think? Squared corner at the back and notch above the derailleur bolt hole.

The couple of Zaskars i've had and the one i've got at the moment all were stamped in the same place, inside the drop out.
I wonder then if someone stamped this one up thinking it'll make it look like a 91 Zaskar but they've stamped it back to front. Here me out 😊 from what i gather it goes month then year then batch number from left to right. But when you look at this serial number it goes batch number then year then month. Maybe they don't know there left from there right 😂🤷‍♂️
First photo is slack boys second is the other one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230924_113447_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_113447_com.android.chrome.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230924_002156_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_002156_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 8
Back