Trouble with a campy headset (SOLVED)

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
1'' threaded.

I cannot not set it up no matter what I try.

Bearings and races are all good, bearings are oriented correctly, everything is greased up.
The problem I'm having is there is play, stiffness or both, there's no sweet spot where the play disappears before the stiffness appears, an overlap exists where the stiffness begins before play is eliminated.

The frustrating part is I have several other 1'' threaded headsets, but none of them have a crown race that'll fit, only the campy fits, the Roberts fork has what looks like a kind of spot welded shim at the crown that stops Shimano, Ritchey and Dia compe races but just about allows the Campy. P5140062.JPG shim.png P5140060.JPG

Last edited:
Probably someone with more expertise than me will be along……are you happy everything is in alignment - that the seat for the crown race is clean/square as well as the surfaces that the cups sit on on the head tube? Was it ok before you removed it?

The times I’ve had a headset that in its self was either new or know to be ok it’s been something on the frame/fork not allowing the cups and crown race surfaces to align correctly creating a tight spot.

Check that the top and bottom sets spin smooth before mounting them. Clean the fork seating area, as it's rusty and may prevent correct alignment. If still no good, head tube may require facing.

Probably someone with more expertise than me will be along……are you happy everything is in alignment - that the seat for the crown race is clean/square as well as the surfaces that the cups sit on on the head tube? Was it ok before you removed it?

The times I’ve had a headset that in its self was either new or know to be ok it’s been something on the frame/fork not allowing the cups and crown race surfaces to align correctly creating a tight spot.
Check that the top and bottom sets spin smooth before mounting them. Clean the fork seating area, as it's rusty and may prevent correct alignment. If still no good, head tube may require facing.
Thanks for the replies, just to clarify I took that pic soon after I stripped the bike down , it had a proper deep clean afterwards and the base of the steerer tube was nice and shiny when I'd finished ;)

It's possible that there's some misalignment, I hadn't considered that, I'll go and check once I've finished this bacon butty 👍

Do a dry run on the bench first before fitting, put the race on!/in the cups, apply pressure and if its rough feeling, it's wrong, as above, turn the race upside down and try again

Captive ball rings only fit one way too!
I agree, sounds like a ball race in upside down - easily done.
The bearing cages were correctly oriented, it was the first thing I checked as I learned that lesson the hard way :oops:
Do a dry run on the bench first before fitting, put the race on!/in the cups, apply pressure and if its rough feeling, it's wrong, as above, turn the race upside down and try again
Yep, I did that, I know the HS is fine, it was my fitting of it that failed.

The bottom cup, very very slightly out oftrue with the head tube, I had to use a magnifying glass to see the gap but it was there, as I turned the press tight there was a barely perceptible but immensely satisfying click as it edged flush to the tube. :)

Thank you to all for the advice, the lesson here is make sure everything is fitted absolutely flush, no room for even the slightest misalignment 👍

I'm sure you already know this, but also ensure that the ball races are to the correct cup as the ball bearings are different sizes and so will only run perfectly if installed as such.

Back