TNT HDS Cranks

MuchAlohaNui

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

Picked up these cranks on eBay. Were for sale for quite a while. The non-drive arm was cracked some time in the past then repaired by whoever so I don’t entirely trust structural rigidity.

I was more so interested in the chain ring and bolt set. The seller insisted the BCD was 107 :D. I tried to convince him that was not possible so after going back and fourth over several emails I let him win the argument and he kept his auction listed as 107 BCD.

Some time went by. Maybe 8 weeks. Cranks still for sale. I reached out to him and made an offer far less than his buy it now. He agreed. Got the parts, printed out the Sheldon Brown 5-arm BCD gauge…and wouldn’t you know: 94/58 BCD. Now I have a nice TNT chainring set.

Crank arms are 175 mm.

Does anyone have a non-drive arm for sale!? Thank you in advance for any help!

No catalog info but I found this description:

05E1DBAC-1593-4720-846A-3053A1605038.jpeg D447372A-18B1-4320-BE1C-DA75BC6C6F85.jpeg 41FC09E5-2DA3-417E-9623-6DB1BC63D82B.jpeg 4B506D33-1C22-4210-92CC-DF1D8C55E57B.jpeg 0136BBC6-8B6D-4EF5-A39F-F77C5E99D9BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Spoke with the previous owner and asked whether or not the repaired arm was ok to use. He said the crack developed a long time ago and he continued to use the cranks. I'll see if I can smooth out that repair area then reanodize them. I can use this set here as practice before reanodizing my Kooka and Grafton sets + rings.

For you old timers: with cracked cranks was this a product of over torquing axle bolts? Or installing square taper cranks onto JIS bottom bracket? Inferior aluminum used for production?

Could be any of the above. If I had to guess, a combination of imperfections in the alloy, the cnc’ing process (which cuts rather than forges the component into the desired shape) and probably a heavy or aggressive rider and the inevitable passage of time.

Would strongly caution against ever riding that NDS arm again, regardless of whatever story the previous owner spun you..

Back