Swapping modern parts onto retro frame

Norwood42

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
Me again lol! Wondered if anybody might know if it might be possible to put a Shimano 105 with 2 front cogs/9 at rear crank set on to a 1980’s/90’s Hanseat bike (German I think) that currently has one front cog and originally 5 at the rear and a Shimano Tourney derailleur. I’ve added a few photos and you can see I’ve put the Mavic wheels from my newer bike on to the old blue Hanseat and also photos of the pedals/crank area of the old bike and one photo of the newer Shimano 105 pedals/crank (darker blue frame). Might it be possible to fit the 105 crank onto the retro bike? Thing is I’d have to somehow fit a front derailleur on the old bike as it only has one front cog and the newer Shimano 105 has 2. Any of this doable? Sorry if this is really vague post. Just wondered if other people have managed doing a similar thing.
Thanks for any help whatsoever! 👍

Attachments

• 6B370E7E-6FD0-4C16-9CD2-34E344CF115D.jpeg
    6B370E7E-6FD0-4C16-9CD2-34E344CF115D.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 23
  • 3394B069-88A1-4138-918D-9A9A79F2C491.jpeg
    3394B069-88A1-4138-918D-9A9A79F2C491.jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 23
  • E6A50B08-45F3-4445-8A35-0194DCF97192.jpeg
    E6A50B08-45F3-4445-8A35-0194DCF97192.jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 8208635E-9C47-4B84-8CF1-F82C997A33E4.jpeg
    8208635E-9C47-4B84-8CF1-F82C997A33E4.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 12
  • F6FCC621-1110-4B9A-93F9-01D3FC8596BB.jpeg
    F6FCC621-1110-4B9A-93F9-01D3FC8596BB.jpeg
    513.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
No offence, but the frame you have is low rent and a 105 groupset would be wasted. Apologies if you see this as an insult, it's not meant to be.

Your 3 main problems are
1. You may not be able to squeeze a modern wider hub into an older narrower frame
2. The brake calipers you have are much longer than the 105s which will be shorter and not reach the rims
3. The rear mech hanger looks integrated with the mech. A 105 mech needs a hanger attached to the rear dropout to screw into

Also, I'm not sure what threading standards the bottom bracket might be - English, Italian, french, swiss

No offence, but the frame you have is low rent and a 105 groupset would be wasted. Apologies if you see this as an insult, it's not meant to be.

Your 3 main problems are
1. You may not be able to squeeze a modern wider hub into an older narrower frame
2. The brake calipers you have are much longer than the 105s which will be shorter and not reach the rims
3. The rear mech hanger looks integrated with the mech. A 105 mech needs a hanger attached to the rear dropout to screw into

Also, I'm not sure what threading standards the bottom bracket might be - English, Italian, french, swiss
I could use your thoughts on my post honest answers always welcome

I could use your thoughts on my post honest answers always welcome
I could use your thoughts on my post honest answers always welco

Your 3 main problems are

No offence taken at all! 👍 The thing is I like the idea of fitting some newer parts onto the old frame as I have no use for the older bike and the newer bike that has the 105 parts on it is the wrong size and just not comfortable so I don’t ride it. Just trying to put together a bike that rides well (hopefully) for commuting and general cycling but nothing to intense.
The Mavic rear wheel hubs fit on the old bike. Yes I’d have to either keep original brake callipers on or find newer ones that reach the rims so the 105 brakes I’ll keep for another project. The rear mech hanger - thanks for the tip I had no idea about this! The 105 derailleur is knackered so I need to get a derailleur to fit the old bike. Hopefully that’s doable? My main concern is if the 105 pedals/crank/bottom bracket but will fit into the old frame but I’m going to buy the tools and find out.

Loads of low-mid range rear mechs with integral hangers available. Back in the day it was rare to find a rear mech that wasn't supplied with a hanger for plate drop outs, even top range Campagnolo had them. Most riders either threw them in the trash or like bike shops put them in a box of spares and rarely used them.

Loads of low-mid range rear mechs with integral hangers available. Back in the day it was rare to find a rear mech that wasn't supplied with a hanger for plate drop outs, even top range Campagnolo had them. Most riders either threw them in the trash or like bike shops put them in a box of spares and rarely used them.
Thanks for the info 👍 I’ve decided to put the original parts back on the old German bike and sell it on eBay etc and also sell the frame only if the newer bike and I’ll keep the parts off it to put on a frame in future.

I just finished up dating a 1985 Schwinn Peloton. It was made in Japan by Panasonic with Columbus SL tubing. The frame was spread last August to accept a 10 speed free hub. Parts are hard to find now so it took all fall and winter to get all the parts. I’m 76 so I need old man gearing. I still need to touch up the paint, mount bottle cages behind the seat and wrap the bars. I plan to put my Brooks Professional saddle on it as I can ride it far without pain. I’m using Shimano SPD pedals with the new silver easy release shoe cleats. During a 12 hour time trial last summer I couldn’t release the standard cleats at their loosest setting. I could release, until about 80 miles. I had to lean on the track crash wall and struggle to release them. I can ride steel comfortably. They don’t make geriatric bicycles. You gotta make your own. So, I put on a taller stem with a longer reach. It’s heavy compared to carbon and titanium but it will last longer than carbon and is less expensive then exotic metals. Lets face it, a few more years of riding, if I’m lucky, so I would never amatorize a real time trial bike. Aero clip on bars are out for these carbon bars and I couldn’t use them much due to discomfort. An old folks compromise all around. Shoe covers, helmet cover, bladed spokes and water bottles behind the seat are the only aero assists. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished up dating a 1985 Schwinn Peloton. It was made in Japan by Panasonic with Columbus SL tubing. The frame was spread last August to accept a 10 speed free hub. Parts are hard to find now so it took all fall and winter to get all the parts. I’m 76 so I need old man gearing. I still need to touch up the paint, mount bottle cages behind the seat and wrap the bars. I plan to put my Brooks Professional saddle on it as I can ride it far without pain. I’m using Shimano SPD pedals with the new silver easy release shoe cleats. During a 12 hour time trial last summer I couldn’t release the standard cleats at their loosest setting. I could release, until about 80 miles. I had to lean on the track crash wall and struggle to release them. I can ride steel comfortably. They don’t make geriatric bicycles. You gotta make your own. So, I put on a taller stem with a longer reach. It’s heavy compared to carbon and titanium but it will last longer than carbon and is less expensive then exotic metals. Lets face it, a few more years of riding, if I’m lucky, so I would never amatorize a real time trial bike. Aero clip on bars are out for these carbon bars and I couldn’t use them much due to discomfort. An old folks compromise all around. Shoe covers, helmet cover, bladed spokes and water bottles behind the seat are the only aero assists.View attachment 621271View attachment 621267View attachment 621268View attachment 621266View attachment 621265View attachment 621264
That’s a nice looking bike! Reminds me of my 1980’s Peugeot I had until a couple of years ago. Hope you get many more miles out of it!

Back