Steerer extenders

Madmax1993

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
So I've made the mistake of buying forks with slightly too short steerers more than once, and I've undergone the same process more than once:
1. Look for the lowest stack external cup headset I can find.
2. Look for the lowest stack stem I can find.

Sometimes these steps are enough, sometimes they are close enough that I run the fork with just a bit more of a gap between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem than I would like, but I make do.

I've seen that BBB make an extended, that doesn't bolt on to the outside like a stem (an ugly and inelegant solution) but instead expands inside the steerer kind of like a quill stem, and has a shoulder with a 1 1/8" diameter that extends the steerer to the desired amount, allowing the use of normal spacers and whatever stem you desire.
Has anybody used one, and what are your experiences on it? Is it appropriate for an urban jump bike, or just a less-than-perfect fix for a pub bike or very light use. The bike I'd like to use it on is an Orange Hitman Contract 26 that I want to use a short steerer Maverick SC32 fork with. I am not a dirt jumper, but I'm looking to improve at the local pump track and ride small urban features like step drops and stuff.

I have also been through the process more than once and like you have tried:

1. Look for the lowest stack external cup headset I can find - I used a Crank Bros Sage.
2. Look for the lowest stack stem I can find - I used a Spank Spike.

Good luck with finding either - I can't!

I am currently using one of the extenders with no problem - and I am no lightweight.

I have literaly just bought another by XLC to use on a downhill frame with Marzocchi Drop offs.

To my mind they are no weaker than a quill stem and arguably may be stiffer!

Good luck.

Bullpup":1m2czmgk said:
I have also been through the process more than once and like you have tried:

1. Look for the lowest stack external cup headset I can find - I used a Crank Bros Sage.
2. Look for the lowest stack stem I can find - I used a Spank Spike.

Good luck with finding either - I can't!

I am currently using one of the extenders with no problem - and I am no lightweight.

I have literaly just bought another by XLC to use on a downhill frame with Marzocchi Drop offs.

To my mind they are no weaker than a quill stem and arguably may be stiffer!

Good luck.

Thanks, sounds promising for the extender.

Back