State of the industry: a running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought from Canyon earlier this year.

Fantastic web site, easy sales process, fast shipping from the continent with all fees covered, bike garage for spares if needed and proactively letting me know local LBS that can assist if I run into trouble… Not to mention that the bike is simply superb.

It’s difficult not to wonder if one company is able to navigate the industries difficulties, why they all can’t.

Lots of convenient excuses around for poorly managed companies to fail ATM.

Last edited:
Canyon was close to have a workers strike this spring, but I just read they recently got an agreement with the unions.

Similar to Cube, I find their bikes incredible value, but I still would not recommend them due to the huge amount of proprietary parts for no reason whatsoever, specially in the higher end models.

It makes utter sense that if a company continues to invest wisely in it's customer experience, it will pay back. Cutting corners & costs at what seems the right time will only end in suffering for the company & it's products/services. It sounds like a gamble, it probably is but without customers a company is nothing. This is a view seldom held by shareholders though.

Lots of convenient excuses around for poorly managed companies to fail ATM.

Agree. The statement from WiggleCRC is loaded with some tripe. Nothing said about it's overseas sales prior to Brexit, and the rising international air freight costs is really not a new phenomena. It must be about 10 years ago I ordered some Mavic Crossride wheels from Wiggle, they fcuked the order up and sent six bolt instead of center-lock - I complained and said what a costly mistake to return them back to the UK from Sweden. They agreed, told me I could keep them and they would send over another pair of wheels according to the order. For sure with Brexit, handling claims and warranty would be a costly nightmare which they could have handled better earlier with some supply chain re-design.

Curious what you think they could or should have changed in their supply chain post Brexit, especially since having a base in NI which brings, and I use this term extremely loosely, "benefits".

Wiggle’s failure is due to the parent company pulling finance as they are under pressure worldwide across many markets. Very little, if at all really due to Brexit or the location of their warehouses.

It makes utter sense that if a company continues to invest wisely in it's customer experience, it will pay back. Cutting corners & costs at what seems the right time will only end in suffering for the company & it's products/services. It sounds like a gamble, it probably is but without customers a company is nothing. This is a view seldom held by shareholders though.

To a point. As every bike shop owner no doubt knows, many customers are price driven.

There is a reason why more people shop at Aldi, Tesco, Morrisons etc than Waitrose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back